An electric GT40? Why not?

Attachments

• 40C20872-7B52-40C5-910D-D1B2312AE20C.jpeg
    40C20872-7B52-40C5-910D-D1B2312AE20C.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 112
My opinion. If the fueltank needs a refill, gasstation 5 minuts & of you go.
In case of a recharge.. first find one, second all the waste of time involved for the recharge..
So if if it was my just home - work - home commuter and recharge overnight anf fo nothing else with it, I would just drive daily for only its purpose.
For anything else & long distance, petrol it is.

…It is still a sin doing so and you will likely go to hell for it when your time has come...
I agree with the purist type sentiment expressed by Ole, and others.
Especially, a battery to power a car as sacred as a GT40? Sacrilege!

Coming from the majority of my life growing up in the car culture of the Motor City, it’s hard to understand
the attraction of EV’s. They are very powerful, but pretty much silent. So, part of the GT40 allure is the
hypnotic sound of an American V8! It’s literally “music to my ears”.
An EV 40 would lack that “music”…

As a retiree from the electric utility industry, I can tell you without a doubt, the electrical infrastructure will not handle
too many more EV’s as this infrastructure is already stressed and minimally-maintained, to put it kindly.
The $$$$ spent towards pushing American utility companies to invest heavily in “renewables” has only been done at the
expense of maintaining/upgrading our electric infrastructure with tried-and-true, conventional replacement and maintenance!

Yes, EV’s are fast. I witnessed some ultimate examples last year at Pike’s Peak IHC ‘22, but (to me anyway!) they’re kinda
weird and anti-climatic to observe. Sorta like watching a silent ambulance, with flashing warning lights and piped-in sounds
to warn spectators…

Besides…I’m already sick of replacing one or two cell phone batteries in my lifetime!
Having to replace a vehicle battery is NOT going to be any fun at all, not to mention $$$$$$.

Neil

Supporter
In some place it isn't possible for everyone to run their home A/C without over-stressing the power grid and causing brownouts, etc. Add a zillion EVs and what happens?:mad:

I think you need to start looking at what the future will look like.

do some research on what the various generations of people are requesting insurance quotes for collector cars. Ie the type of cars that are possibly 3rd or 4th cars for a household. Look at what these generations are valuing in the market. What was interesting and desirable to the Boomer and Gen X is not what Gen Z or Gen Y are into. Kids these days are brain washed with the green agender from every angle. It is a similar ideology reason for why the Manual transmission is dead.
There is no focus on a driver enjoyment and driver engagement. I'm looking for another car to drive/daily that delivers those qualities, not necessarily all out speed, but 100% engagement and feedback. Thinking 4dr, light weight, v8, 6spd manual, slick top, 8000+rpm.......

In 10 to 15 years time, what will be an interesting and desirable car for a Gen Z?

The world is changing.....
The collector car world is in the midst of a generational transition - Hagerty Media

Neil

Supporter
I think you need to start looking at what the future will look like.

do some research on what the various generations of people are requesting insurance quotes for collector cars. Ie the type of cars that are possibly 3rd or 4th cars for a household. Look at what these generations are valuing in the market. What was interesting and desirable to the Boomer and Gen X is not what Gen Z or Gen Y are into. Kids these days are brain washed with the green agender from every angle. It is a similar ideology reason for why the Manual transmission is dead.
There is no focus on a driver enjoyment and driver engagement. I'm looking for another car to drive/daily that delivers those qualities, not necessarily all out speed, but 100% engagement and feedback. Thinking 4dr, light weight, v8, 6spd manual, slick top, 8000+rpm.......

In 10 to 15 years time, what will be an interesting and desirable car for a Gen Z?

The world is changing.....
The collector car world is in the midst of a generational transition - Hagerty Media
They can have it. I'll be dead and gone by then and those bozos will never know what hey missed.

In some place it isn't possible for everyone to run their home A/C without over-stressing the power grid and causing brownouts, etc. Add a zillion EVs and what happens?:mad:

Yup, Neil, exactly what I was talking about!
And, not just A/C being affected either. Pay attention to some of the
‘fringe media’ out there. Too much evidence of States “going California” and if they’re successful you and
your lifestyle WILL BE AFFECTED.
Look at Texas’ recent power issues for one case in point. Sure does sound reminiscent of California during the
whole Enron scandal. ( My illustrious former employer was ‘benchmarking’ Enron during that fiasco. :mad: )

…But, don’t think for one second that everyone’s lifestyle will be drastically changed.
The ‘power$ that be’ aren’t intent on “going green”. Nope!
That’s for the masses ( aka You & I ) and not for the ‘select few’.
One doesn’t have to try hard nor look too far to find evidence that demonstrates ‘for Thee but Not for Me’.

So…YES!…I’m going to cling to my present “standard of living” that includes motor oil, gasoline, reliable and
consistent Electricity, natural gas, A/C (preferably Central Air!)… and A Car ( or several) with an ‘ICE’ engine…
and a 5 spd…and Webers…and (on & on)…

Call me stubborn - - I don’t mind…

Steven Lobel

Supporter
I have a Superlite GT-R. It would be simple to convert to a rear engine tesla powertrain.
But mine has an LS7 and it is mean.
Starting an Exocet framed dual motor tesla build next month. Room for motors. Batteries will be packed around all available space. Weight goal is 2500lbs.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Why not...........................hum.........................? Well...................I guess for the same reason you wouldn't breed three-leg horses.....................DTM.

Attachments

• local_15_temp-1409463516-5402b4dc-620x348.jpg
    local_15_temp-1409463516-5402b4dc-620x348.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 88
I would be far less resistant to this change if it wasn't being force fed down our throats under false pretenses.

#1 these are not zero emissions vehicles. They are remote emission vehicles. Magic pixies don't just appear at the charging stations.

#2 they are less efficent that a Diesel because the electric grid from BTUs in to BTUs at your outlet is only 33% efficient. A diesel is typically 38-40% Add the losses in charging and discharging batteries and the inverters to run the AC motors and you're down to 25% efficient for EVs

I really love EVs. See the other thread about my golf cart. The solar panel I replaced the roof with almost keeps it charged if the weather is good and I don't decide to park it in the portacachier (much to the wifeys disapproval) It's much more handy to hop in and mash the go pedal, and hop out while it;s still rolling. The Kei truck, you have to start it, clutch, gear bla bla bla. Then you eventually need to run it around the block a few times as all of the short trips put more wear on the starter than the engine, and it doesn't get to temp to burn the water out of the oil.

Off the soap box. EV's are a niche virtue signalling device. Not viable transportation except for the short haul urban bar scene... of a particular unsaid type.

FWIW…

Very coincidentally, the Sept ‘23 issue of Fortyfication arrived today.
It includes an article on the ‘Everatti’ gt40, an EV , for those interested…;)

Today out of curiosity I decided to create a discussion topic on X (Twitter), something funny, but sometimes ideas are born with jokes. 99% of us bet on a GT40 with gasoline, however it is not a bad idea to see how this crazy idea is discussed. I hope you have fun.

In my opinion, the beauty of the GT40 is hearing the power of its engine. That is why electrifying an icon like this is lowering it to the level of a Roomba vacuum cleaner. Opening the rear hood of the GT40 and not finding an engine to do mechanical work on is an atrocity. Gt40 without a combustion engine is not a GT40.

Back