An electric GT40? Why not?

More to that. I was scratching my head, 100 square miles? No, article says 100x100 miles... 10,000 square miles.

Even that, I don't know what optomistic production number they're using. Consider, in the winter, you only have sun 30% of the day, and then only on cloudless days. I've looked at my solar installation's actual output, and it's half what I thought was a realistic calculated guess. Under clouds, they put out 5% rated power. When it is sunny and a blazing 100 degrees, they only do 80%. Average those two extremes and yea, no...
I agree w/ Luce on this. ( And, good catch clarifying the actual area cited in that article! );)

Ever notice the tendency towards sites (such as that of solar Engineering firm Inovateus Solar, for example, linked above) to be so very
optimistic when calculating stats like the minimal land area needed to "power the U.S."?

Also, I can imagine some of the more environmental-types becoming alarmed, once there (God forbid) are some newly-found hazards that are associated with these giant solar farm installations that are popping up around the USA. You can practically predict that it will happen, and then it'll be a "dangerous" renewable! Remember what happened with Nuclear power projects in the US...

To each his own, on what source of power you'd like to power your '40, but I lean towards
the good old, tried-n-true internal combustion engine...

More to that. I was scratching my head, 100 square miles? No, article says 100x100 miles... 10,000 square miles.

Even that, I don't know what optomistic production number they're using. Consider, in the winter, you only have sun 30% of the day, and then only on cloudless days. I've looked at my solar installation's actual output, and it's half what I thought was a realistic calculated guess. Under clouds, they put out 5% rated power. When it is sunny and a blazing 100 degrees, they only do 80%. Average those two extremes and yea, no. But I did it DIY with surplus parts without high expectations thinking jumped to my golf cart as battery back up, I'll have some back up power when the grid is down.

Woops, right.

But do you have any idea how many opportunities there are for failure in the electronics? And they do have a transmission, altho much simpler. And of the last 4 ice vehicles I've owned (bought new) they have all made it past 125K miles without needing any service to the engine or transmission other than factory recommended oil changes.

That argument is a red herring.

And all of the additional weigh makes tires not last as long and the spec'ed tires are more expensive because of the additional weigh demand. I'm suspecting in reality, you'll see the same additional stresses (from weight) cause more suspension wear issues.

Replaces the differentials though so less components both ways.
This is the lightning modular motor/trans. Very simplified tight package, and way more stout then needed since full size pickup. No 10spd with insane cost to rebuild.

Jim Farley announced EV cars and trucks will look completely different in a few years because of its extremely small packaging design.

2023-11-04 10-45-33 AM.png

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Aye Darin,
And Jim Farley drives one of those old GT40's and last time I looked, it still had a petrol engine in the back.

I was thinking one of these would be cool in the back of a golf cart. It's around 50 HP. My golf cart has a 330 W solar panel for a roof, and usually doesn't need to be charged unless I park it in the cover when it's rainy.

I'm not dead against EVs, just the misinformation and mis direction.

And they're not ready for general consumption and no where near ready for full replacement of ICE.

I had a 2012 volt and it was a pretty good car for what it was; it was the perfect choice if you had a short commute; I could charge it overnight and never have to add gas for the gas engine. It was kinda fun to see if I could do better than the estimated battery range. Now the issue I see with that type of car is that it takes a bit of care handling the electric components; it is not like a regular car where you can go right in an mess with it; there is not the same familiarity. There are some components that can be expensive to fix. We ended up trading it because it was not roomy at all and we were afraid of the battery going out; we were at 100.000 miles; luckily we got decent money for it. Now I don’t see an electric gt40 being as cool; unless they can make it sound like a v8!

The government is.
Well, Jim is stopping production already while others still producing them. Leaving Dealerships in Europe with empty showrooms other then expensive Hybrid cars or the Mustang Mach E. Customers walk away from Ford dealerships at the moment leaving those dealerships with no other choice to close shop or get involved with another brand like Dacia.
Best seller Fiesta is already out of production. Focus will follow soon. Factories will close also.

Most Ford dealerships in Europe are not happy with Jim & his electricity route.

Well, Jim is stopping production already while others still producing them. Leaving Dealerships in Europe with empty showrooms other then expensive Hybrid cars or the Mustang Mach E. Customers walk away from Ford dealerships at the moment leaving those dealerships with no other choice to close shop or get involved with another brand like Dacia.
Best seller Fiesta is already out of production. Focus will follow soon. Factories will close also.

Most Ford dealerships in Europe are not happy with Jim & his electricity route.
No choice. They have a quota of emissions to reach and it takes retooling to the EV market. Large auto companies have the most effect since the more they sell the more emissions quota they need to reach. Ford knows they'll walk away, and then walk right back. Takes time to retool so layoffs and then rehires.

Back