Jim,

you mean this one.....

Attachments

• 917-1 015 (Small).jpg
    917-1 015 (Small).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 881
Martin,

thanks for asking...

We have been working very hard on both of the 917's and I will have another 917 offering that will be very appealing to many.....

I will post more details tomorrow.....

Well, theres only a few 917's that your other offering could be if you exclude the cam-am cars. This limits it down to the long tail, the later revised short tail with shark fins, or the spyder!... or maybe the 917/20 pink pig... but I doubt that!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I'd love to find out where to find a flat 12 Porsche engine or how to make one. I have a place locally that I could get to make the crankcase & another place that could make a custom crank. You could use a pair of 911 engines for the cylinder sleeves and cylinder heads, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the cams to work right. LOL Well, I mean you could just make some heads & cams but that would be crazy expensive!!! Hehe I'm all about makin it inexpensive. Or you could just use a 911 twin turbo flat 6 and make 650hp and be fine, but that's the easy way out!!!

Brian, do some research on the development of the flat 12 that was used in the 917, it should become clear that harmonics issues would preclude any simple solutions associated with joining two flat 6 engines with a new crank.

Yeah, people have been down that road before. Spend the big bucks for an original and more big bucks to get it running, or just go with the six. That's what I'm planning to do. Well, I'm going non-turbo and 350HP to start. Should I find that 350HP isn't enough in a sub-2000 pound car, I may consider going to turbos, but I'm sort of guessing I'll be fine.

--Donnie

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ah well crap...

Guess it'll have to be a TT 6 cyl. Porsche drivetrain then...

What am I talking about, I can barely afford my Crown Victoria!!!! boomsmile

I'd love to find out where to find a flat 12 Porsche engine or how to make one. I have a place locally that I could get to make the crankcase & another place that could make a custom crank. You could use a pair of 911 engines for the cylinder sleeves and cylinder heads, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the cams to work right. LOL Well, I mean you could just make some heads & cams but that would be crazy expensive!!! Hehe I'm all about makin it inexpensive. Or you could just use a 911 twin turbo flat 6 and make 650hp and be fine, but that's the easy way out!!!

Thinking about the price of building all this boggles the mind! God.. the price of a custom low-volume casting for the case, and forming the crank... thats probably the most expensive part. The cams would be the least expensive, there are shops that do all kinds of custom cam grinds, although, these would have a bit more length then they are use too..

If you were going to make a reproduction engine case, i think the easiest way to make this would be to have one CNC'ed from solid billet.

In the end, your looking at a pretty huge price tag. Plus, you would need an original to take all the measurements from.
You know, with modern CAD technology, you could perform a stress simulation of the case and make it so much stronger, and generally make the engine so much better. Probably make the engine last at least 100,000 miles before rebuilds!

Back