Audi 016 Quiafe ATB Part Number

I need to buy an LSD for my Audi 016 and it seems the Quiafe ATB unit is the go. Either that or a Porsche 944 turbo diff, which I understand to be a direct swap for the 016 diff.

I'm pretty sure that the Quaife ATB diff for the Audi 016 is QDF4Q. Quiafe list this part for both the 944 turbo box and 016/093 Audi box.

Before I shell out the money and buy one, can anyone confirm that this is the correct part for a direct swap into my 016 (from an Audi 100, or Audi 5000 in USA speak).

Also, can anyone post up their actual experiences with a Quaife ATB diff? I'm used to conventional clutch pack type LSD's and had my last one set up very 'tight' in my previous car. Basically it turned into a locker diff under power, which was fine by me! I understand the ATB diff is a lot more progressive, which is probably a good thing, but I definitely do not want any inside wheel spin under power. That's just not fun!

This is for my DRB GT40 by the way, which is now driving, just not yet road registered.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have one in my R21 Renault. The thing is, you really can't tell it's there. If I had never driven the car with a open diff I wouldn't think much about it at all. BUT I have driven my car with a open diff and all I can say is the Quaife ABT is friggin magic. No noise, no feeling of mechanical lock up or clutches slipping and grabbing nothing but the equal grip of both tires at their limit of adhesion. Before the car was always spinning one tire and going sideways off a corner. Now the car is much faster off a corner and if the tires do loose grip at least they both do the same thing at the same time. This is a VERY important thing. The car is much faster on the lap AND much easier to drive quickly.

I have found that a given corner entry point will be later (after the apex) so as to get the car aimed more down the following straight instead at the outside edge of the track before full power is applied. Then just quickly but smoothly roll on the power and it's all done. Power oversteer is greatly reduced and you don't need to use it to turn the car.

Too early of a turn-in will tend to have the added grip of BOTH tires push the car outward in a kind of power understeer. Once you have gotten the line right the car just launches nice and straight. No drama. The car does feel like it has less horsepower because you are not fighting to keep it on line but you will quickly realise that you are going much faster at the end of the straightaway. Nice!

Nothing else you can do to you car for the same amount of money will improve performance as quickly and decisively as a LSD. Quaife's ABT really works and in my opinion is as good or better as any of this type made by anyone else.

The fact that they make one for your gearbox seals it. Call them up and ask your fitment questions directly.

Last edited:
Thanks Howard. That's sort of how I thought they behaved. You should write Quaife an advert!

My old mechanical LSD in my previous car had its limitations, but it was consistent. Too much throttle (easy to misjusdge in a turbo rotary with big laggy turbo) and it would go sideways guaranteed! Lots of fun and quick if you kept the corner exit power oversteer in check.

I've been directly in touch with Quaife and they've sent me their drawing of the diff, which would be great if I had the diff centre removed to compare measurements! Hence asking the question to double check that this part number was the direct fit for my particular trans, which I believe it is, but I'd like confirmed if possible.

To All,

I am trying to locate a Renault UN1 here in the US and am not having very good luck. Could you tell me the going price for one over there?

Spider

Back