Audi transaxle parts

This is for any UK members who might know about this. I have been looking at the Audi repair manual and it seems that some of the parts from the 093 box may interchange with the 016. Mainly I would be interested if the 5th gear set would interchange and if the inner parts that would allow using the 093 first gear in the 016 box would work. I would even be interested in purchasing an 093 box to disassemble to check dimensions.

Eric

First gear is integral with the shaft...no swapping.
Not sure about 5th gear interchangeability....
pretty sure the Porsche 944 tranny 5th is the same.
Also..RoaringForties has made a new 5th gear for the 016,
but not sure if they are taking orders yet.

MikeD

Thanks Mike, I knew that first is integral with the shaft, but could the entire shaft be interchanged? Do you know what the Porsche 5th gear ratio is?

We actually took a 944 and an audi 016 apart and could not swap the fifth gear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Which parts were you trying to interchange? I have been told that the 944 parts will install into the 016 housing. I would like to use the 944 R&P and other internal parts with the .73 5th from the 5N. I assume from your post that this won't work? What dimension prevents this? I am also looking into having some 5th gear sets made with a .64 ratio. If anyone would be interested in a set let me know.
Eric

MIKE

Lifetime Supporter
LOOKING FOR HIGHER RATIO 5TH
AUDI QUATRO TRANS FOR GT40
THIS IS CURRENT TRANS RATIO
3000 RPM AT 70***5000@ 120

I can't recall what actually stopped us, but we had both boxs dissasembled. We were trying for a taller fifth gear ie lower engine rpm for higher speed. We had been told that the two boxes had interchangeble parts. This turned out to be not true! I believe it was due the fifth gears not being interchangelbe on the first gear shaft. I will talk to my transmission shop and get the specifics for a post later.

I would be interested in what parts will interchange. I would like to install the 944 Turbo ring and pinion (3.37)with the related shafts and gears in the Audi box. If I have the fifth gear set made for the ratio I want I can have it made to fit the shaft.

There are some old threads on this subject.
Might be able to find using search.
As I recall, the ring and pinions were not identical,
which prevented the swap.

I'm not sure I agree with Rolf on the 5th gear answer.
It's been over a year since I looked at these gears.
Before doing anything else, you should contact Hershal
about the status of the new 5th gear RF made.
I assume they intend to sell it at some point.

MikeD

Regarding fifth gears for the 016, I found one out of a Audi 5000 diesel, prefix MN. Looking around, this site,

http://www.audiworld.com/model/historical.html

lists the ratios for the diesel as;

1st-3.60, 2nd-1.94, 3rd-1.23, 4th-.86 5th-.68.

BUT, the R+P is 4.78!

Does this sound correct to you all, and how difficult/expensive would it be to replace the R+P with a higher ratio from a gasoline trans?

Swapping ring and pinions are EXPENSIVE.
Check with local tranny shops for quotes.

Depending on how much you have to pay in your area
(these trannies run $ 100 to $ 300) it's cheaper
to buy two trannies and swap the 5th gear assy
over to a tranny with the 3.89 ring and pinion.
This swap doesn't require special tools/skills
as does the ring and pinion change.

MikeD

Back