autobox for GT40

No I'm not mad but my last two 911 convertibles had tiptronic autos in them. The '40 I eventually build will be my everyday car apart for the scoolruns and weekly shopping (single dad you see).
I loved the tiptronic boxes in my 911's (1995 and 1997). They were only four speed but the new ones are five speed. They handle the twin turbo horsepower and massive torque in a much heavier car so why not the power of an everyday '40 with a 347.
I had one of the new 911's (not a turbo) out for a day and that five speed box is brilliant.
Will it be possible to fit this box in a '40. The G50's and G60's are from 911's aren't they. Sorry but I dont know much about this stuff, I've been restoring 50's and 60's american cars.
From what I have read on this forum I know that space is an issue. But if that's all ... Well... I am not known to give up easily.
Any input on this anyone?

Good question. I would guess dealing with an inverted box that is an automatic may take some doing as all of the pump pickup and such will be on top. Anyone have any experience with this?

You might want to look into the VW/Audi 01V 5 speed tiptronic auto transaxles. They are a logitudinal layout engine ahead of trans requiring no flipping, etc. They are used on vehicles weighting up to 3500lbs with a 4.2 litre V8. I'm not sure whether the trans is coupled with the ECU however.

Andy

Ian Clark

Supporter
Rons right again, You'll have to avoid computer controlled transmissions. Although not as glamorous in todays world of 5 & 6 speed units, you should look at early 3 SPEED Audi 5000 transaxles.

They have a low enough final drive for reasonable highway cruising and can handle a mild 302 motor.

If you're thinking about a high power, hi tech, automatic GT40 then wrap your head around this: take the whole Audi V8/Transaxle, engine and chassis harness, computers, steering columm and put that in.

The drivetrain would cost more than the car but you'd have all the toys and 35mpg too!

Thanks for the replies guys.
The Audi A8's are easily obtained as write offs in Germany and thats not far from me. I got my two 911's from there.
I would just buy the car and take what I needed.
Thats why I asked about the Porche box as I planned to buy a write off, sell the engine and use as much as possible of the car. Wiring harness, ABS brakes (yes I know, more work and custom bits), traction control (or "brake assisted differential" as the germans call it), steering wheel with airbag and shifters and a good few other niceties. The wipers are three speed plus intermittent, they have a very wide viping angle and with the work involved in fitting this unit why not do the bodywork as well and incorporate both wiperblades. They are very close to each other.
Will there be room for the Audi V8 sideways though?
What is the reason the Porche boxes are turned upside down?
Is it the hight of the output shafts?
I am only in the planning phase yet but I am getting closer every day or should I say every month as its still a year or two away after a "minor" setback last year.
I am not going for a purist's '40 as you can see. I like the shape of it and I want to BUILD a sports car that can be used as an every day driver.
The auto is not a necessity but would be nice if it was possible.
It would also have to be a four or five speed tiptronic box, it is after all a sportscar, not a leisure barge.(No offence to the three speed suggestion.)
Brilliant site this, I have probably spent 30 hours on here the last two weeks. I am also impressed with the people using this site, what a nice bunch of people The GT40 has managed to gather.
Ken

Ron Earp

Admin
There is one that might work for you, the Chrysler automatics as found in the 300M. It has a sport shift mode with slapstick, but, it is relatively simplistic and if I'm not mistaken has its' own computer to control the transmission. It is a N-S arrangement so it is setup properly to work. I thought Getrag made the transmission, but I'm not clear on that part.

R

The reason the 911 boxes are flipped is that the 911 is a rear engine car and thus to be used in a mid engine configuration (and not have one forward gear and 5 reverse) you have to flip the box.

Thanks Gary. I actually figured that out the second I sent the question to the forum. Like I often tell my kids about their homework "think before you ask".

Thank you as well Ron. I will get to work on that Chrysler box and see what I can find out. That should handle a fair bit of power as well in the '40.

Back