Automated PayPal subscription payments?

Well, this was a bit of a surprise...

I had promised to pony up for a Premier Membership when Ron fixed the search function, which he appears to have done. So I went to my PayPal account and discovered that $20 had been transmitted via PayPal today. Funny thing is, I didn't know about this or expect it - I always thought I had to manually approve any outgoing PayPal transaction. I don't have a problem with this, per se, because I was going to renew my subscription anyway, but I was surprised that the funds had been automatically transferred without my knowledge. This must be related to how the subscription was set up in the first place, presumably as a recurring annual charge. I guess I didn't read the fine print; not the first time that's happened.

Secondly, when I looked into this a few weeks ago, I thought the Premier Membership was $100, and it is now listed as $200. Did the cost of a Premier membership go up or is my memory incorrect?

Ron, I'd prefer to turn off any automated annual renewal of dues and authorize them manually. Do you know how I do this?

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Mark,

The old forum used to have an automated subscription feature. When you signed up on the old forum if you clicked the box that said something like "Automatic Renewal" then it would try and automatically renew it via PayPal. What it essentially did was tell PayPal when you authorized the payment that the payment was re-occuring and to perform it again the following year. You should be able to find it in your PayPal account and turn it off - I think.

We no longer have re-occuring supporter payments on GT40s.com - they caused too much trouble and generally didn't work. Why this one is still going through I think is totally PayPal related when the subscription was created - the old software is not running. However, due to this thread I'm going to go to the old forum and make sure it isn't doing anything along those lines. As far as I know it isn't possible.

The Premier Lifelong membership has not changed in price. It is a relatively new creation. The Bronze, Silver, and Gold memberships still are active but there is more of a spread in cost on them and they offer additional services for each level.

Let me see what I can find out on this subscription thing. I also notice it did not automatically create a supporter icon for you either, which means it definitely isn't coming through this system on this forum. Please check your PayPal account for me and report back. I'd check mine, but I have no automatic renewal type thing going on with mine that I've ever seen.

Ron

Back