Avon Tyres on SPF GT 40 MK1

I am planning to fit Avon tyres and now I wonder what the best fit for the front wheels of the SPF GT 40 MK1 with 15` rims would be:
From what I found out so far, Avon offers 245/60-15, 225/65-15 and 215/60-15 (but no 225/60-15)
Would the 245/60-15 fit without problems or what would be the best choice (with rear tyres being 295/50-15)

Regards,

Andreas

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I am not positive but think the 245 will rub the fender well in turns. The 225/65 could also rub, I use the 215/60/-15 on my car without any problems. I think the Avon's are the best tires I have ever purchased for street and track use.

Lets hear from some of the other guys.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I also ran the 215's on the 15" rims.
The 245 x 17 that I have now are fine except at full lock and then they rub slightly.

My recommendation, if you are going with the Avons, is to use the 215's.

The Avons are pretty good tires for track and street in dry conditions. I was not too impressed with wet driving. The tread pattern is minimal.

The Michelin Pilot Sports II's that I have now are certainly better tires for the street.

FWIW,
Kirby

Like Jack I have 295-50 and 215-60 Avons on my MKI. I can get the 215's to rub a wee bit under the right (wrong?) turning conditions.

Thanks for the feedback. So I think it should be the 215/60-R15. Correct?
BTWIf I would go for the Michelin, what would be the correct size there (front & rear)?

Regards,

Andreas

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If you go with Michelin, it would be 225/50-15 front, and 295/50-15 rear.

If you go with Avon's you will find that the 215/60-15 will put your car at a different height setting on the front of the car, my cars noise is closer to the ground now than before with the 225/50-15. I need to adjust the height and camber, toe settings on the front again.

HI Andreas

If you refer to the michelins mentioned by Kirby, they are probably on 17" wheels.

The michelins mentioned by Jack are probably TB5´s or TB 15´s which have pretty race oriented compounds.

here the link to michelin TB 5´s/TB15´s :

http://www.reifenschlag.de/Michelin/Michelin.htm

Which Gt40 do you you own and how wide are your rims ?

Have you ever thoought about pirellis assimetrico ?

check the attached tire list for alternatives and or if you like give me a call (check my website for contact)

TOM

Attachments

• GT40Tirelist(1).xls
    28 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Tom,

I am considering to buy a SPF MK I with the standard 15```rims. The chassis is actually fitted with: Front tires: Yokohama AVID S/T 295/50 R15; rear tires: Yokohama AVID T4 225/60 R15; which I believe are not realy usable?? Can anybody comment on these tyres?
The list you attached will be very helpful to select new tyres.

Regards,

Andreas

Tom,

I am considering to buy a SPF MK I with the standard 15```rims. The chassis is actually fitted with: Front tires: Yokohama AVID S/T 295/50 R15; rear tires: Yokohama AVID T4 225/60 R15; which I believe are not realy usable?? Can anybody comment on these tyres?
The list you attached will be very helpful to select new tyres.

Regards,

Andreas

Andreas

Tires are probably the other way around ?

They probably fit good sizewise, but for serious driving i would avoid them. The most anoying thing is that they are just T speedrated ( 190 km/h) . So you would not even get the car registered here unless you gear it down to that speed ( just kick out 4th and 5th gear) :)))

TOM

TOM

Last edited:
Andreas-
The Yoko Avids are OK for street use, but definitely not a track tire. In Europe you apparently have the choice between Avons and Michelins in 15". Otherwise going to 17" gives a lot more choices, but a different look.

You have much better tire options in Europe than you do in the USA. Maxxis makes a V-rated 295/50-15 rear tire (the Maxxis MA-S1 Marauder), and they also make a 235/60-15 which would be great on the front. A friend has the Maxxis 295 matched with a 225/50 on his Pantera, and he loves them.

(The Maxxis tire is V-rated in Germany, but H-rated in the USA, even though it's the same tire!)

Back