Braided Stainless Clutch Line

On my current setup, I have a steel hard line from a 0.75" clutch master to the firewall/bulkhead. From there, I have a 53" long braided stainless line (hose) to the clutch slave on an 01e transaxle. I seem to be getting less travel than what I might expect at the slave. Though the master/slave piston sizes are pretty standard, I'm wondering if the braided stainless line may be flexing/swelling/growing. That 53" is pretty long, so it wouldn't take a lot of flexing to have an impact. It's the same concern some seem to have with braided stainless lines used for brakes at the suspension, and opt for flexible rubber brake hose to get a more firm pedal. Thoughts, please, and thanks in advance.

Andys

I think it's unlikely that modern braided lines are causing the issue. It's common even on track cars to add remote bleeders to the slave cylinder so you can bleed the clutch system from above the car. My Z06 track car has this feature. The internal volume of the 4 feet or so of the braided line of the remote bleeder is a part of the pressurized hydraulic system and doesn't cause any perceivable issues (although some degree of expansion probably exists).

https://www.tickperformance.com/tic...tilton-6000-series-adjustable-slave-cylinder/

On the Porsche forums, some discourage the use of braided brake lines, as they can contribute to a soft pedal due to expansion. My application is of course for the clutch line, so I don't know if the lower pressures would even be a factor. Again, 53" is pretty long.

On the Porsche forums, some discourage the use of braided brake lines, as they can contribute to a soft pedal due to expansion. My application is of course for the clutch line, so I don't know if the lower pressures would even be a factor. Again, 53" is pretty long.
Are they talking about full-length braided lines? It would be a bad idea for brakes for sure. Or are they talking about braided lines coming off the hard line to the calipers? You have to have a flexible line to the calipers, braided line has to be better than Factory rubber lines.

On my current setup, I have a steel hard line from a 0.75" clutch master to the firewall/bulkhead. From there, I have a 53" long braided stainless line (hose) to the clutch slave on an 01e transaxle. I seem to be getting less travel than what I might expect at the slave. Though the master/slave piston sizes are pretty standard, I'm wondering if the braided stainless line may be flexing/swelling/growing. That 53" is pretty long, so it wouldn't take a lot of flexing to have an impact. It's the same concern some seem to have with braided stainless lines used for brakes at the suspension, and opt for flexible rubber brake hose to get a more firm pedal. Thoughts, please, and thanks in advance.

Andys

Hi Andy, I have had teflon lined flexible braided line pedal to clutch for 20 years and no problem. I did have to shorten brake flexibles due to sponginess, but the clutch has never been a problem, even though a lot of legwork is needed to use the clutch (AP Racing). Go for it ! Tony.

Hi Andys,
I had the same issue with my SGT, it was also very heavy. I increased the bore diameter of the hose, hard and flexi and that sorted the problems. I'm using 6mm bore hose, not standard brake pipe hoses.
Regards Tony

Back