Bruce's T70Spyder

Understood. I will let Ron know. I understand that Jim Pace piloted your car on a stateside track, but does your ex-Lola typically compete domestically or in Europe? BTW, now that Jim has transcended this mortal coil, that video is a terrific, irreplaceable memory.

What sports car(s) are you currently driving?

That car was purchased from the UK, where it was owned by (Dr. Bob Usher Sparkes?) and where it had been run in some various race series, some pro.
The MD of Lola wrote a letter to Heritage Engineering congratulating them on the race wins. I think Heritage engineering did some work for Lola

Heritage Engineering copied the bodywork from a small scale model!
Of course it is not really a Lola, but a tribute to Lola from Heritage Engineering.

That car now stays in the US.

Our team mate Jim Pace drove a lot of our cars and was a good friend. Lolas, Porsches, Jags, Mclarens, we had a lot of fun.

What a great hotshoe teammate. Through the videos I've watched, I've come to very quite impressed with the driving skills of Jim Pace. I know who is doing the driving up there when God needs to get someplace fast!

I am confused about your former #23 car. I thought it was the sister car to mine, and constructed by John Gyann outside Chicago by John's company, Can-Am Creations. Your comments indicate that at least your car was designed and completed in England, by Heritage Engineering. I know they developed a Lola reproduction, but I did not think it had anything to do with John Gyann's two cars. For example, my car is fitted with Corvette C4 uprights, hubs, spindles, bearings and more - I don't suspect they used those parts much in England.

My 23 was a race car built and developed by Heritage Engineering and came with a prototype space frame chassis and a spare chassis, three chassis total.
Lots of folks copied / used that car as a basis. Gardner Douglas in the UK copied it for a street/track car.
Guyan used it as the basis for his Can Am based car.
The 23 car was really fast and sort of famous
In its day.

3F06586C-89D8-4FCF-96F2-FC9E1FBCC7E2.jpeg
3F06586C-89D8-4FCF-96F2-FC9E1FBCC7E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 9265EB88-54BF-4F02-BA0F-44AAE42023AB.jpeg
    9265EB88-54BF-4F02-BA0F-44AAE42023AB.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 46
The coolest thing that sets your car apart from all of the others is the HSR logbook because it means your chassis has passed initial tech for racing. It’s going to look great in the new color scheme Mecom Blue. Can’t wait to see the finished product roll out of Jason’s shop and fire up!

Johan - In your initial post, you indicated that you bought everything from John Gyann. This led me to believe you owned the sister car to mine, but upon closer inspection of your text, you never describe that car - only Heritage Engineering cars. Did you ever own my car or the sister car to mine (Gyann's chassis # 2)?

@Johan - Fran indicated that he reworked the rear suspension comprehensively in an earlier conversation. Apparently, John Gyann hired an engineer to adapt his patented

I now understand that you never owned a Gyann Lola. However, in your initial post, you indicated you bought all of John's parts - that's what confused me. I didn't understand why you would need his parts if you didn't own one of this cars.

I am going to watch those Youtube vids of the Gardner car - thanks for sharing.

@Johan - thanks for noting the benefits of the HSR logbook, and complimenting the Mecum Blue color of the car. I had Jason bring all the safety requirements up to date, including updates to the fire system and more. The car will pass tech when I pick it up. The original color I chose for the car was Acapulco Blue, similar to Mecum Blue. However, there were delays in getting the panels painted, which allowed me to alter my paint plan. I chose a similar but brighter blue with more pop called Electric Blue Metallic. The Mustang below is painted Acapulco Blue Metallic, a Ford color. The classic Chevy is painted Electric Blue Metallic. The two are close, but the Chevy is a tad lighter with more sparkle. IMO medium blues are the best color choice for these Lolas. Medium blues allow the curves to flow, give great highlights in the sun, and keep these small cars visible day and night. Other newer avant-garde colors like Viper Green and Crystal Cherry Red are cool, but too modern for the Lola's classic shape:
fa043945f02c919409b677f6c1dce534.jpg
Chevy painted electric blue metallic urethane.jpg

Very nice Bruce

I didn’t buy John’s parts. I bought the parts that he purchased as part of the Heritage package.
1 car
2 extra chassis
Jigs
Molds
Extra bodywork
Etc.

he was finished with all of that as he had created his own car.

Understood, finally. Sounds like yours was a long and arduous saga, as well. It took me a year to buy my car, because I suffered a knee injury and couldn't handle a clutch for a while. Then, as noted above, every bit of rubber had aged out, and the fuel cell, and tires, and some of the safety systems, plus the white paint on the car at my time of purchase was pretty hacked, so all that required refreshing. I wrote a short story about the purchase and rebuild process, for eventual publication in one of the sports car mags. I ATTACHED it here. My ambition was to create an article informative, entertaining and funny. I hope you get a chance to read it.

Attachments

• Lola T70 Spyder Mk I Purchase Lola Build Story ONLY.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 93

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bruce,

Whats the chance this could be your car ??

Regards Brian

Very kind of you to notice this article and Ward's postings. They both relate to my car, which has a history more interesting, but far less valuable, than many fully-pedigreed T70's. The Kit Car article was written in 2003 when John was first trying to drum up marketplace interest, and the attendant Run N' Gun races were the first won with my car. Approximately 2008, a gentleman by the name of Ian Easton took ownership, and sent the car to Fran Hall of our famous Race Car Recreations shop (producers of a number of Fast and Furious specialty vehicles). Fran extensively reworked the rear suspension, scrapping Corey Shaw's "Reactive Kinematics" IRS. Fran also changed the gauges, padded the seats, installed compliant roll bars and other accoutrement for vintage racing, and repainted the car to white. Ward Witkowski bought my car from Ian circa 2011, looking to move up from Spec Miata. I corresponded with Ward briefly via this forum, and even more briefly via telephone. The move up from Miata momentum racing to the Saturn rocket heavy lift class, where Wade was surround with ballistic GT40's, 700 hp Porsche 935's and killer-bee Ginetta G12's plunged Wade into deep and cold waters. Ward advertised the Lola for sale after a brief ownership, and planned a move back down to Spec Miata. He sold the T70 circa 2013 to Ron Olexa, a fine gentleman from whom I purchased the car, and who is now a friend. Here's an image of Wade at an HSR race in GA. The photo's "Date Taken" was 9/12/2012:
111 track images (7).jpg

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Bruce it just gets more interesting with more history being found. I’m pretty sure I emailed back and forth with Ron years ago.
Thanks for posting !!
Regards Brian

@Johan Ras - I recently conversed with John Gyann, who created the Can-Am Creations Lolas using the Heritage Engineering cars for design inspiration, body molds and more. John remembers you well. We both wondered: What was the name of your friend that bought my car initially, and changed the nose? Was he Ian Easton?

My T70 is still in restoration. The mile-long list of repairs and safety updates have been completed, and the body shell has been resurfaced and repainted - a hotrod Chevy is imaged below with the same blue paint. My car's engine, trans and suspension are all checked, repaired as needed and installed. Eight Vintage racing wheels are refinished and clear-coated. The four dual-throat Webers are rebuilt but must be installed. After that, final reassembly, suspension setup and tuning is all that remains. I hope to have the car delivered in February.
Chevy painted electric blue metallic urethane or hydro blue pearl metallic.jpg

Back