Bulkhead window frame GT40

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Anyone have a drawing for this or have any instructions on how to bend the alloy frame to the correct shape?
Many Thanks

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I made a sandwitch to hold the glass. An aluminum frame, foam tape and bolted it to the firewall.

Attachments

• GOPR0742.JPG
    GOPR0742.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 270
  • GOPR0743.JPG
    GOPR0743.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 306
Anyone have a drawing for this or have any instructions on how to bend the alloy frame to the correct shape?
Many Thanks

The original was made from one piece of sheet steel; it's do-able but very difficult. I did manage it but with imperfections!

The easiest way is to fold a length to give an 'L' section then use a shrinker to bend it to shape and butt weld the ends together.

Regards,

Graham.

Brian Magee

Supporter
I made mine from a length of aluminium angle from B&Q. I made a metal former for the corners and annealed the areas I needed to bend and just hammered it round the former then finished off the face on the linisher. I welded the ends together and added the mounting strips each end with one of these aluminium welding kits you see demonstrated at shows. I then gave the frame to a double glazing firm who made a double glazed unit to fit. The GTD fibreglass inner tub gave me some of the thickness I needed for the window but I then added some 3mm foam board behind the engine bay side aluminium panel to make up the rest. It has been in there for 20 years without a problem.
Brian.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Thanks guys, I have a plan. Got dims from grab cad, will make a plywood form. Will get aluminum angle, anneal in the corners and try to wrap the form.

Shaun

Supporter
Paul Bav got one of a chap who had two cast, I think Tornado sells them not quite like these trim ones though more like this. I am thinking of getitng one

1634732701862.png

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I saw Paul's and wrote to him asking when he got his but have not heard back. It looks well made and the shape appears correct. I will give it a run to make on my own. Just need time.......

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
just a hint: the Tornado bulkhead frames are wider, and might make it difficult to fit inbetween the bulkhead top structure of the SGT. Its made of plastic, but its not sure one will be approved to buy anything from them if you have a different brand GT40.... no offence. Sometimes its best to just fabricate the hard to find pieces oneself, or get a mate to do them:)

Wish you all the best, and keep fabricating.

Morten

the window frame was hand crafted out of one pice not cast ,it is very close to the original but not an exact copy as it was made to fit the Sgt bulk head and also even though we have the capability for reproduction and the skill set we chose not to as we are not in the market of reproducing parts and charging exorbitant prices for them ,we are happy to build our cars in the spirit of the mark ,for it to look somewhat right to the eye but to the those who know it’s not quite right and that’s ok for me, it’s nice for them to have to take a second look just to make sure .have a go and see what you come up with ,it’s part of the fun of building these amazing cars
p.s as you can see in the- picture the most important thing is to have a brew and a think about the job

Last edited:
Made from Ali to match the bulkhead and not steel as original plus that’s what I found in the corner of the garage

Attachments

• 2CAF377B-B8B3-4BC9-9F6C-3981733F4E06.jpeg
    2CAF377B-B8B3-4BC9-9F6C-3981733F4E06.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 225
Back