"C5-Glide"

Well now, here's something I've never seen before, a device to mount your C5 differential to a Chevy 2 speed slip and slide! Clever, although not my cup of tea. Not associated with auction or product.

"Included in the kit are the parts needed to mate the 97-04 Corvette C5 differential to the 2 speed automatic Powerglide transmission creating the "C5 - Glide" Transaxle. There are No modifications needed to either your diff or your trans. Uses the standard long output shaft of the glide. When assembled it measures 22 3/4" from bell housing face to axle center and 30" overall, Weighs approx. 170lbs. Complete with Seals, Bushing, O-Rings, Bolt kit and the two Plates."

Doesn't look too long, wonder if it would work with other transmissions.

C5 Glide Transaxle Kit Corvette Differential to Powerglide Trans Mid Engine | eBay

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's interesting, but with only two gears, not sure it would meet the needs of most here. Although as I recall, there was a two speed automatic transmission that was tried in the GT40 at one time.
The output shaft of the Powerglide has a different spline count from the other GM automatic transmissions as I recall. Although a really faint recollection is that the PG may share the same output shaft size and spline count as the standard transmissions of that era. I may be wrong on these counts as it has been a good 30 years since messing with the PG..

this gets the wheels turning!!! some of those Vette setups are over 700 horsepower! some thing to thinkabout, way cheaper than some of the alternatives. Neville Nesbitt.

Yeah, the two speed and especially automatic would not at all be desirable but as Neville said, "this gets the wheels turning!" What would be the shortes 5/6 speed manual, and what's the spline count!

Certainly a better idea that the Toronado drivetrain some kit guys tried.

This is an interesting idea, but the diff is still 20"+ from the bellhousing. That makes for somewhere around a 10" longer wheelbase I would think.

Seems like chasing a reasonable priced transaxle that can support some good power is like searching for the fountain of youth!

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Jim Hall of Chaparral fame did pretty well with a 2 speed automatic. So while it may not be the desired number of gears for many (I'm included), 2 seems to have some advantages in certain applications. I have more concerns, as mentioned, about the length. It reminds me of the old Crown V8 kit for Corvairs, with the engine bolted to what had been the front of the transaxle, the length was considerable even in a 108" wheelbase.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You know in thinking about it again, when I had the right gear in the rear end of a couple of my racecars, I only used 3rd and 4th gear once up to speed on the track.. If you had a torque convertor that would lock up, it might not be such a bad thing..

That Shafiroff 632 that Brisc wants would be a natural in front of that setup. Say in a 1700 ish lb car with a 2.56 ring & pinion.

Back