C8 engine and transmission

If you have a running car, it probably won't be that difficult to reverse engineer the communications with the TCU (or to control the trans directly). Clutch engagement handling will take some time and a test mule (and perhaps some clutch disks) to get correct. But I think you can hang up trying to unlock the GM ECU as you can be sure some smart guys have been trying.

You can replace the GM ECU with MS2PRO, Motec, etc....

But, if you need internal parts for that trans, I expect you could be stuck with no option other than buying another wreck. At sometime that should change, but for now....

It may be more doable to keep the factory ECU/TCU/Wiring/etc all close to stock and use it complete. Then you might be able to convince your local Chevy dealer to work on it if the trans needs attention.

As much as GT500 drivers crash their cars, that's probably a much better option. I've heard the dual clutch is comparable, haven't driven it yet though.

They get wrecked quite often. So replacements won’t be too problematic. If some shops can partner up and develop a custom firmware for the motec to control it that’d be great.

err...don't know why I mentioned the dual clutch on the GT500, it isn't a transaxle, but the engines are an option.

Regarding the C8, Pietz performance has done a lot of work on the C8 ECU/trans - Emelia Hartfords car. They are observing paddle shift signal and performing an ignition cut (on the piggyback), they can't affect shift timing/pressure etc, it's all locked. They were going to work with a company in Italy to "repurpose" the GCU but needed a complete C8. Instead they are building a sequential for the C8, but that doesn't help much.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Scott,

This requirement to send a complete car to Italy came out of the blue. We hope this is just a conservative over-reaction, but won’t be able to press on this until August.

If that path works, the same TCU we use in the Graziano AMT conversion will be reprogrammed to control the Tremec DCT.
We’d support the gearbox with replacement parts, if we did - but it appears to be a reliable unit out of the box.

Big issue has been clutch-related - and that’s alI intentional, built into the programming to preserve the gearbox. I don’t see the aftermarket cracking the factory TCU anytime soon.

Best,
John

err...don't know why I mentioned the dual clutch on the GT500, it isn't a transaxle, but the engines are an option.

Regarding the C8, Pietz performance has done a lot of work on the C8 ECU/trans - Emelia Hartfords car. They are observing paddle shift signal and performing an ignition cut (on the piggyback), they can't affect shift timing/pressure etc, it's all locked. They were going to work with a company in Italy to "repurpose" the GCU but needed a complete C8. Instead they are building a sequential for the C8, but that doesn't help much.

Back