Calling Quaife ZFQ Owners - Speedo Connection

From what I read the speedo cable is too short for the quaiffe. Mine was broken as a result (too tight of a turn at the speedo) Robert Kay has an adapter installed on his, which gives it more length. It appears to work fine for him. Many have switched to a GPS unit. (including myself)

Since I am the third owner of P2248 it came with the adapter Gus is referring to. My understanding is the adapter is needed to reverse the direction the cable spins. That is my conclusion from looking at it. However, I have not disassembled it to see if that is the case.

Gus has helped me with a reference pic. The red circle in my photo is the attach point.

Robert - I'll check the rotation and consider either the adapter or the GPS unit.

Thanks, everyone!

Attachments

• 28722933226_cabf1f9584_k.jpg
    28722933226_cabf1f9584_k.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 364
It doesn't look it from my photo but when everything is together the stock cable is just a little to short or maybe there's binding somewhere besides the two ends. The speedo cable on the ZF connects feather forward which is why the cable is the length it is.

I've replaced the inside 3 times before giving up. You have to remember why they put the speedo where they did, no one really cares how fast you're going. I sometimes use my phones speedo app if I'm that interested. I remember a thread that talked about a guy in SoCal (Hollywood I think) that can make up a custom cable which is probably my next step if they're still in business. Not much call for that kind of thing anymore.

The two other types GPS and reluctance pickup are to expensive for my tastes so I guess I'll continue not to care. Next time I have the dash apart I may give it another try. Disconnecting it at both ends and turning it by hand to see where it's binding. Hope that helps.

The adapter is just a 90deg gear drive. It doesn't change the direction. I think SPF screwed the speedo cable onto the speedo then jammed the dash into place thus causing the cable itself to try to do a 90deg turn withing the space of about 2 inches which it just can't do without breaking. Some adapters also change the gear ratio if for some reason that's needed.

NAPA cares a replacement for the inside part (see picture).

Attachments

• 20160810_190932.jpg
    20160810_190932.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 20160810_192144.jpg
    20160810_192144.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
P2248 does not use a 90 degree adapter at the Trans as you can see in this picture. This is the adapter Gus was referring to earlier in this thread.
image.jpg

Thanks, Gentlemen. I tried the connection last night (note that I didn't route the cable correctly yet). It reaches - at least this routing does.

Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• 28288626023_084fd0cb1c_k.jpg
    28288626023_084fd0cb1c_k.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 314
Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 90deg gear drive needed at the back of the speedo. The picture of the gear drive at the rear of the trans is considered a straight drive with a gear ratio change to compensate for different rear end ratios.

I'm not sure if SPF fixed this problem in later cars but most earlier cars had to have the 90deg gear drive installed at the back of the speedo. As you can see without it the cable made to tight a turn coming out of the back speedo and the would break the inside cable.

Attachments

• Camera 3-10-08 008.JPG
    Camera 3-10-08 008.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Camera 3-10-08 017.JPG
    Camera 3-10-08 017.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 283
  • Camera 3-10-08 019.JPG
    Camera 3-10-08 019.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 275
P2248 does have the 90 degree adapter at the back of the speedo as well. The adapters at each end explain why I have no issues with the cable length.

Great looks like everyone is now on the same page. Robert who did your build?

Tim is this a new build? If so I have a little trivia for you. If you're doing a new build and SPF hasn't changed anything, with a Quaife you will have to modify the part that goes past the back of the transmission. The part with the lifting tabs. Had to learn that one the hard way.

Richard brings up a very good point. Notice in the picture I posted above how my rear subframe crossmember was modified to clear the Quaife housing. I had Vlado at V's Performance do that for me while it was still in CA.

I'm the third owner of P2248 so I did not have the pleasure of the initial build.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Richard brings up a very good point. Notice in the picture I posted above how my rear subframe crossmember was modified to clear the Quaife housing. I had Vlado at V's Performance do that for me while it was still in CA.

I'm the third owner of P2248 so I did not have the pleasure of the initial build.

On a MK II the rear subframe is different than the MK I and does not require the modification as the space was designed for the longer T44.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about the 90deg gear drive needed at the back of the speedo. The picture of the gear drive at the rear of the trans is considered a straight drive with a gear ratio change to compensate for different rear end ratios.

I'm not sure if SPF fixed this problem in later cars but most earlier cars had to have the 90deg gear drive installed at the back of the speedo. As you can see without it the cable made to tight a turn coming out of the back speedo and the would break the inside cable.

Hi Richard,

I own 2193 and i have no adapter at the back of my speedo and the cable is not too short to be connected to the zfq. Nevertheless my speedo is a smiths (clockwise) so could you send me the reference number for the adapter please ? The needle doesn't stop moving up/down du to the short angle of the cable at the rear of the speedo.
Thanks,
Oliver

Richard,
This IS a new build. As Rick pointed out, I didn't have to modify the subframe, but I DID have to cut the bottom tab (ear) off the Quaife for clearance. It was tough to take a cutting wheel to a brand new casting. Such is life.

I'll have to check the back of my speedo for the 90 degree adapter.

Rick, can you lend some insight here on the new cars? Maybe you can save me removing the fuse panel cover or getting my hands cut. :)

Thanks.

Back