Car Security

My completed SPF Mark I will be ready for pick up in a couple of weeks. It started me thinking about what can I do in the event that the car is either stolen or the possibility of a carjacking? Aside from installing a hidden battery or cutoff switch, what other things have you done to insure your cars and your security? I am considering a GPS locator. Has anyone installed one of these, and what could anyone recommend as a good one to use?

Install a battery cutoff switch for many reasons when working on the car but that is a start. Air tag is. Carjacking - F it. You have insurance. Personally, a 40 is probably the last car somebody would steal as they couldn't figure out how to even get into it.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I don't leave my car sitting alone in a parking lot. These cars attract too much attention to risk damage or theft. Just my opinion.

If you do park your car and walk away, Rob Klein has the best solution.

I have the air tags on a few things these days. You can mod them to remove the speaker/beeper. Other than that, an auxiliary power supply/charger circuit would be the go. You could hide them in any number of devices within the vehicle. i.e. inside of any other black box/device that has power going into it, if you were going to have a separate charger.

Won't prevent vandalism, but has prevented anyone from getting in my SPF for 15 years:

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Bart,
I installed a Ron Francis MS-11 Disconnect Switch in my car. It has a Key Fob which turns the main power off/on with the push of a button. There is also a Back-Up Toggle Switch hidden in the car which can manually perform the same functions.
Rod

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I heard someone had added a switch that he clicked when leaving the car. By activating the switch it made a circuit that pressing the brake pedal activated the horn. At least you would hear your car being driven away.

I must say in the 16 years I just got out and closed the door, No Locks, No Alatm No tracker. Just thought if it gets stolen it is insured. After all with a screwdriver in lass than 2 minutes you can remove the door window and gain access!

Ian

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So I have a GPS tracker, https://www.terminusgps.com/ on my trailer, my son's truck and his welder. The trailer, because so many vintage racers have had their trailer stolen with their race car inside and they were not recovered. It is cheap insurance, same for the new engine driven welder in my son's truck. My son's Dodge Diesel is a $10k truck but due to age they will only cover for liability, hence the tracker in that that where we can also remotely disable from our cell phones. All trackers we can set a geo fence around, to alarm our phones if it goes out of area.

Now here is the fun part. My son got a ticket for 70mph in a 45, he swore if he was speeding it would have been 50mph max... well guess what pulled the tracking data and he was correct! Got an attorney and gave that to him to fight the case with.

I cannot tell you the number of recoveries that have been done in Houston with these systems especially on high end Dodge's that are the hot thing to steal.

For the $25 a month fee I would rather get my stuff back than have to negotiate with insurance company or as in the case of some items there is no insurance for them.

So I have a GPS tracker, https://www.terminusgps.com/ on my trailer, my son's truck and his welder. The trailer, because so many vintage racers have had their trailer stolen with their race car inside and they were not recovered. It is cheap insurance, same for the new engine driven welder in my son's truck. My son's Dodge Diesel is a $10k truck but due to age they will only cover for liability, hence the tracker in that that where we can also remotely disable from our cell phones. All trackers we can set a geo fence around, to alarm our phones if it goes out of area.

Now here is the fun part. My son got a ticket for 70mph in a 45, he swore if he was speeding it would have been 50mph max... well guess what pulled the tracking data and he was correct! Got an attorney and gave that to him to fight the case with.

I cannot tell you the number of recoveries that have been done in Houston with these systems especially on high end Dodge's that are the hot thing to steal.

For the $25 a month fee I would rather get my stuff back than have to negotiate with insurance company or as in the case of some items there is no insurance for them.

Having the car stolen while it’s on my trailer was my main concern. Like you, I have heard of many vintage cars stolen while being trailered. And since I will be doing quite a bit of trailering, using an open trailer, I just want to protect my car as much as possible. I had to travel down to Los Angeles last year to empty my Dad’s house, using an enclosed trailer that I previously owned, and promptly had it stolen off the street. I went open this time because I think that sometimes they might not have stolen it if they knew it was a car or parts that would be hard to dispose.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Exactly, the police are not concerned about your trailer theft. People rarely have trailer coverage, mine is a 2004 Featherlite enclosed in very good condition I paid $4500 for it and I do not have any coverage available to me. I can't afford to replace it. The GT40 will eventually get one. My TC Special is RHD, 4 spd I doubt anyone can even figure out how to steal it......

Back