CarcraftKit

It has come to my attention that Carcraft have provided a CAV/Carcraft kit direct from the factory to a customer in the UK.

Both Frank Catt and myself would like to wish the customer the best of luck with his new kit, while at the same time making it clear that neither of us has been involved with this purchase at any stage.

Rick Chattell

To get an answer direct from Carcraft try their web site. www.gt40.co.za/index.htm Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As far as I know, Carcraft are continuing to produce the CAV as a kit. I do not know whether they will build complete cars or rolling chassis.

They are not too keen on this site as a resource, but I would think it would be sensible of them to post something.

On the subject of US dealers, I think they absolutely would wish for them to continue to represent the car - there are some very good guys doing a great job in the US and Canada.

The only reason that I made the post yesterday, is that the guy who has bought one, was originally one of my clients. Sadly, I did not have enough confidence in the product as a kit to complete the sale through me, so he has gone direct.

I hope they do get it back on track as I do think the car is incredibly well made.

Rick

Well....if my calculator and brain are functioning
correctly....complete kit of 197,000 Rand = $ 31,500 US.
That certainly seems very competitive (if it's true).

Let's see if Carcraft will take orders direct (and come through) or go through a dealer network, which will
add the obligatory middleman costs.

MikeD

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
This is very interesting !!!!

The prices seem to be good but the kit is far from complete and only when the prices are on all the options and such things as starter motors, shockers and springs , and the full picture of what the chassis looks like (need to be skinned etc. ) will a true comparison be available.

Sorry, I just remembered door hinges and body hinges and all the rest of the mounting hardware are also not included in the pricing list. I could not find seats either.

Please do not think as a rival manufacturer that I am trying to undermine their product. This is not so , I wish the new Carcraft good fortune but it is important to compare "like with like" that is all.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Rick,

Why does Carcraft not like this site as a resource? Most of the comments I've heard regarding the site are positive as it seems to help the consumer. My only conclusion is that either they don't want to help the consumer, or, they feel the site is in some way not supportive of their efforts. If my conclusions are somewhat on target then which is it?

Sorry if I've taken offense but I've tried my best to make sure the forum stays on an even keel. Yes, I have an RF, but I like and respect all the GT40s made and do not offer help for folks selecting kits in my current role. If that mess at the beginning of the year has anything to do with it, well, all I can say is that was self-inflicted via principals not offering information to a hungrey audience of potential buyers.

All the makes are welcome here and seem to get along fine - ERA, CAV, RF, DRB, GT40 Australia all have folks that post and help each other. I don't think it should or will be any different for Carcraft, unless they want it to be.

Best,
Ron

I think they're foolish if they choose not to participate on this forum. A sensible businessman would jump at the opportunity to put their highly specialized product in front of a web forum devoted specifically to the market niche in which they are competing. Maybe they're just not comfortable with computers and the internet. Too bad...their loss.

The way I read the opening page of their web site is that they only make righthand drive and they will not be offered for export. Also they seem to offer everything that is needed to complete the kits including complete interiors and complete drive trains. You need to read all the 11 stages of the builds. Joe

CAV certainly had the tooling to produce left hand drive cars. It's hard to believe CarCraft would abandon the North American market, it seems CAV was doing well here. As to the forum, if they plan to use Ian and Gary as dealers, they may be figuring that that will give them a presence. I can’t see why any manufacturer would choose not to take advantage of this forum. This is an unusually good forum with serious exposure to prospective purchasers. If they chose to shun it, they would only be hurting themselves.

Kevin

Carcraft/CAV came in for a lot of flak on the forum during the "restructuring" and they did not like it.

I agree with the comments about ignoring the site at their peril, but obviously the GT40 market is bigger than this forum. One thing that I have found (whilst talking to people in the UK about the RF) is that to a man, the potential customers have been very impressed with Robert Logan's speed in reacting to questions and problems using this site. That is a very positive example of the benefits.

Rick

[ QUOTE ]
but obviously the GT40 market is bigger than this forum.
Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

If Carcraft believe that is the case then they are commiting commercial suicide.

The internet has a massive influence on any market. My company deals with a number of internet companies that spend at least £100k per month. Their sales increase month by month!

The GT40s forum is arguably the most visited GT40 site in the world. Nearly every GT40 manufacturer is represented right here!

Consumers today like to do their research before nearly any purchase, I'd guess most that are interested in a GT40 would visit this site.

And if Carcraft aren't here to answer those all important questions then it kind of puts them out of the picture.

Regards,

J.P

Do we know for sure that Carcraft is manufacturing GT40s now that CAV has gone?

Their website predates CAV's demise, and states that they are a supplier for CAV kits. Being a supplier is one thing, being a manufacturer is a whole new ball game.

Perhaps the kit supplied to the UK is just old CAV stock?

Just a thought.

Rob

JP,

I agree with you, but there are people who buy 40's who dont know about this site. Carcraft will undoubtedly miss a trick if they don't use it.

Rob,

You might be right. I think that the present kits are undoubtedly old stock plus a few bits - I do know however that the aim is to carry on, therefore they must be considering outsourcing parts from elsewhere, as they do not now have the facilities to carry on producing everything in-house.

See you all,

Rick

Back