Cars scanned into videogames

Hi

As a few probably know gameproducers scans some of the cars and base their modelling on this.
Some models are available online but i wonder if anyone knows what car has been scanned.

I have from Forza Horizon 4 (mk1) and CSR Racing (mk2)

Both models have many details that makes me think they cant have modelled this from pictures and basic dimensions.

Glenn M

Supporter
Mine was scanned by a company who write games, and they also covered it in microphones and recorded me doing all sorts of different manoeuvres up and down a runway, accelerating, changing down etc.. It took all day. I have been told it's on Forza, although this means nothing to me as I'm not into gaming at all.

Ok, some feed back from the couple of people the I know are in the games industry.

Early titles mostly games 3d modelled them, however as the technology has come on some of the latter titles are 3d scanning them. The platform that the game is running on will most likely determine what data is used. If it is a simple platform e.g. a mobile phone based game (real racing as an example) then the car will more than likely be modelled as it will allow the geometry to be optimized and allow the game to run faster. If it’s a game for a PC and is more simulator based, then you may find that it’s been scanned.

I have been told that some significant/prominent cars have been 3d scanned by some game developers.

I suspect if you really want to know, you best bet would be to hunt down people via “linked In” or the like.

Back