CAV coolant leak

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
I have small droplets of coolant coming out on both sides in my car right behind the front tire. I read that the hard line goes just pass the panels that houses the fuel bladders. My car is 104. can someone tell me if this is an easy fix where I just need to remove the panels and I will have access to the clamps to tighten them? Or is the fuel bladder in the way

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I hope the pipes aren't rubbing the tub, check the grommets. unlikely that both sides would leek at the same time. There are clamps inside on # 193. that would be ugly. Fuel tank removal.

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Car was kept in warm climate States, and now in WI. What I think happened was the rubber shrank and the clamps were not tight. The car is 12 years old so I'm sure the rubber has been shrinking and the clamps needed to be tightened. I hope I am able to get the panels off at access the clamps to tighten. It would be really stupid if I had to remove the fuel bladders just to tighten those clamps and if I have to do that I will be redesigning it to keep the rubber fittings outside of the frame

Neil

Supporter
Nick;

If you need to replace the clamps on your coolant hoses, consider replacing them with Gates Power-Band heat shrink sleeves. They form a powerful grip that is uniform around the circumference of the connection.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I bought some of the Gates but was afraid to use them in a restricted area or around plastics such as the AC and heater box. Nice stuff, used on class 8 trucks for a few years now.

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the advice guys and I will be getting at the coolant issue this weekend. Hopefully once I remove the panels I have access to the clamps and I can just tighten them for now.

Pat

Supporter
Here's what you'll probably find when you pull off the sponson shroud and fiberglass end plate. You should be able to tighten the front clamp without pulling the cell. The rear clamp may be more troublesome depending on the location of the clamp.

Attachments

• PC170154.JPG
    PC170154.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 353
  • PC170155.JPG
    PC170155.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 338
  • PC170166.JPG
    PC170166.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 317

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you pat, this helps. I figured as much, rear clamp might be hard to get at. maybe a small ratchet wrench. If I have to I will weld my own tool, rather than have to remove both fuel bladders.

Pat

Supporter
Nick, the bladders have some flex in them and you may be able to get to the far clamp with an electric ratchet.
If you need to get the cells in and out, PM me and I can give you the way I've found best to do it. I can get one out in two beers or about an hour and a half.

Back