CAV GT40

Hi all I'm new to the club. From what I've read so far looks very good. I do need some assistance from those who can help in any way. I'm very seriously considering a new CAV gt40 replica complete build less drivetrain and looking for all comments good/bad. Please feel free to advice. No money spent yet so nothing to lose. So be as open in your comments as possible. What's a realestic price for a gulf spec car?

THX
FRKNFAST

All the posts that I've read about CAV have been positive. Do a search on "CAV" and you will find much more information. Briefly from what I've learned is that the CAV monocoque has more leg room then the spaceframe. Supposedly RF has more headroom and width but I've not seen the RF for myself. The CAV is to the GT40 as Superperformance is to the Cobra replica's. Neither adhere to strict copying of the original cars, but in my opinion that is not a bad thing... you will never be able to or want to pass your car off as an original. If you read some of the history of the GT40 some updates where very much needed. The CAV monoqoque frame is shaped differently then an original. I dont know the reasons. I think CAV has done a wonderful job with the turnkey minus engine and transaxle. You can get the other manufacturers to deliver a replica as a turnkey minus as well, but I think they will charge more to sell a car finished to this level then the CAV. I dont believe you will be able to save money by building your own car. I built a cobra and it turned out nice. For me building this car was a challenge, and the cobra that I built is by far the easiest cobra to build so I knew that I wouldnt want to build my own GT40.
Dan

Dan thanks for the response. I've looked at their web site (looks good)but I'm looking for actual sight,driving/owning experience/satisfaction etc. I know they're fairly new but there are a bunch out there already in use.

I bought the CAV monocoque and will be should take delivery in about 2 weeks. I'll post picture and let you know what its like sitting in my driveway.
Dan

You should also talk with Gordon Levy of Levy Racing. He is the US Rep for Roaring 40's and offers a GT40 minus package. His work is very professional. 480-446-8442

Also ask about his engine packages. You would be hard to find the quality he produces at the price he sells.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: Bart Carter ]

Dan thx for the info. Now I'm almost as anxious as you for you to get your car so you can give me the details and pics. By the way what did you order?

J.P. I checked my email there's nothing there from you thati can see. Can you please resend. Thx

frknfast,
If you are from Burlington NC you are not too far from Virginia Beach where I live. You are welcome to come by and have a look at my Gulf flared CAV. The photos are posted on the website. Motor is in stock. Transaxle is on order.

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary thx for the invite. I'm from Burlington Ontario Canada, so the drive is a bit far.

frknfast
Don't miss the chance to see Garys car if your close enough. Real sharp. I own a CAV, and love it. Very high quality product with great company surport. Good luck.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Even if you must fly to look at a complete car of the type you are interested in it would be well worth the weekend trip. You will meet a new friend in the process and get a ride. If that doesn't hook you nothing will. Go for it! Build one, it's been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. Good people too! Howard Jones Calif.USA GTD if your in town your welcome to come by.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frknfast:
Hi all I'm new to the club. From what I've read so far looks very good. I do need some assistance from those who can help in any way. I'm very seriously considering a new CAV gt40 replica complete build less drivetrain and looking for all comments good/bad. Please feel free to advice. No money spent yet so nothing to lose. So be as open in your comments as possible. What's a realestic price for a gulf spec car?

THX
FRKNFAST
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check your mail.

Regards,

J.P

Vic glad to hear you're happy with the car. Are there any pics posted I can see? Or you can send me some. Don't worry about download time I have a T1 service-extremely fast. How long have yoy had the car?
THX

Howard thx for the invite!! If I'm in your neck of the woods in the future I will look you up. As for building one, HA, I am NOT mechanically inclined at all. I want to drive a car that I don't see bolts and pcs falling off in my rearview mirror. So I take it you're very happy with the car?
Did any of you guys consider the Superformance cobra as a purchase?

If you are thinking of a Cobra Factory Five has come a long way in improving there kit. It was very good at the beginning and its even better now, and you cant beat the price. Check with Gordon Levy who builds nice cars and is very fair. He is the RF GT40 dealer mentioned above. You will find quite a few previous or current owners of Cobras now owning or building a GT40. People who have owned a Cobra usually are hopeful of owning a GT40 in the long run.

A friend of mine has a CAV GT40 (non monocoque). I sat in it, and checked out the fit and finish very closey. It is incredible!! I haven't ridden in it, but my daughter has, and she wants one.

If I were to buy a turnkey minus, a CAV GT40 would head my list.

Bill D

Dan I guess I'm part of the new group. I currently own a Superformance 427 cobra with a 396 stoker. I luv every time I'm in it and put over 7500 miles in the first year. The gt40 is definitely a different style and type of car. But I'm working very hard on deciding which make to buy. again I need a car that I can get in, turn the key, it starts and off I go.
Keep the posts coming. THX

Bill what is the frame if it's not a monocoque and which is better and why?? Wasn't monocoque the original frame construction?
All help is appreciated1 THX

The originals were monocoque. ERA has a semi-monocoque.
The original CAVs were space frames with
sheeting to make it look like a monocoque.
Current CAVs are all monocoque. Roaring
Forties has a space frame currently, and will
be offering a monocoque soon. Both can be
had turnkey a la CAV. If you search on this
forum, you''ll find a number of discussions
about space frame vs. monocoque.

I guesstimate that a new CAV or Roaring Forties
turnkey minus, with Gulf flares, correct BRM
knock on, paint, etc. would probably be in
the $70K range, not including engine and
transaxle.

Ian

frknfast
I've had the pleasure of owning both space frame and now a monoque CAV. The first one I had for about 8 months, put 3000 miles on it . Went to carlyle Pa. for a car show,that was 300 miles away. Very comfortable and tons of fun,a great car.When I saw the stainless monoque,I flipped and sold the space frame. There is nothing at all wrong with the space frames. The monos gives you a little more room.
Florida Advanced Vehicials is a CAV dealer <www.fav-gt40.com>,He's got some pics to check out. Good luck

Back