CAV or SPF GT40?

You can add manufacturers (ERA/CAV/SPF etc), MK-II vs MK-I, Webers vs Holley, LHD vs RHD and Gulf Colors vs other combinations. All those choices is what makes each of our senseless/useless car fun and unique. One thing that I found with the MK-IV is that is an acquired taste. I used to dislike it but seeing J10 coming to life it changed my opinion. All the things Ford did to make such a unique race car.

I went with a Gulf blue and my own stripe scheme, simply not trying to copy a 60s paint scheme as the car stands on its own.

in hindsight should ahve dome webbers as when driven hard on track a 4bbl makes sme cylinders run rich and others lean, plus webbers are supposed to be more progressive.

If you are running a RHD sill shift hard on track then the shifting rods wont like all the engine movement with uretahne mounts, nor will the bulhead like the engine tapping it, and the crossmember that holds the transmission will start to deform.

All stuff they knew back in the day for race cars.

Long story short, if you street your Gt40 its one setup and if you track it with any seriousness it needs to be setup hard as race cars are. SPF Bailey and ERa are probably the ones to really handle track work if properly setup.

The pluses, these are real race cars, very robust, tremedous handling and way faster than people think, even by contemporary standards. IMO and experience a track setup SPFGt40 is going to smoke pretty much any modern street car on track once you know what you are doing. The cars are also very sensitive to setup and hugely adjustable, so not plug and play.
Its also going to be one of the more expensive cars on track, although other than fuel not too expensive to run.

It will certainly be more fun than other cars on track. While a track setup Gt40 may be technicaly street legal, unless you live somehere like europe or BC with wide smooth roads its going to be a challenging proposition on road.

A street Gt40 is probaly on the plush side ride wise, but will assault you in every other sense, and will be soft for serious track work, just like any other street car.

Horses for courses. Whats you planned use, choose a car and setup acordingly.

very interesting thread btw. After soem years I also was curious to see which car was the "best" around :D

..and wonder what the guy starting this discussion bought? guess..lambo or whatever? Dunno about F430 today....looks already sooo oldfashion (ok,let's say just OLD..) if compared to "our" latest toys as the 488...that maybe can be a little over the budget.
What does he do with a 800 hp turbo porsche? is not at all a trackday car (heavy like a pig imho).real sporty porsches are others, but surely he got a very nice looking car.

Back