CAV Wide Body No. 104 Lemans Blue **SOLD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Mk1 built by CAV in Nov 2005 and fitted out in 2006 by renowned GT40 and Cobra builder Bill Mitchell of HRE Motorsports in New York. Gulf Flares, Twin Snorkel, Lemans Blue Metallic, Silver Center Stripes, Black Perforated Leather. Smiths gauges, 220 mph speedo, Lucas toggle switches. Factory air. Ford Racing Performance 351 Windsor, est. 420hp, Weber 8-Stack, Inglese alum intake, alum heads, billet flywheel, forged pistons, hydraulic roller, Meloden oil pump, 9-quart pan, twin Facet fuel pumps, MSE ignition, bundle of snakes. Getrag 5-speed with HRE hardened gears. BRM 17-inch pin drive knock off wheels by PS Engineering with Michelin Pilot Sport 335/35ZR rubber on rear and 245/45ZR on front. Wilwood 4-pot disc brakes. A post-100 CAV so it has the suspension and other upgrades. LeMans commemorative metal plaque on driver-side sill, period correct track and scrutineer decals (removable). Ford Advanced Vehicles/Slough England VIN plate riveted to engine compartment wall with VIN 1099. Registered as a 1965 Ford with VIN 1099 in state of Georgia USA. Clean classic street driven vehicle, never tracked, well sorted, reliable, low maintenance, excellent condition. 5100 miles. Collector downsizing his cars. Go to Hemmings and type CAV GT40 in search box for pics. ROB. Atlanta. 678-641-9699. [email protected]

Re: CAV Wide Body No. 104 Lemans Blue

Rob,

chassis # 104 vin number 1099????? I question if this is legal?? THE VIN TAG IMPLIES IT WAS MANUFACTURED BY FAV ENGLAND? WHEN IN DEED IT WAS MANUFACTURED IN SOUTH AFRICA.

Last edited:

A police officer inspected the car and signed off on the VIN. Chassis number means the build sequence from CAV (107th car), which is different from the CAV cert of origin number, which is different from the VIN which Georgia allows the owner to assign if there isn’t a factory attached VIN. Doesn’t fly in all states and if your jurisdiction is stricter then use the number on the original CAV cert of origin. In any case the number of digits will not conform to US DOT standards. The car has the CAV plate in the nose so nobody’s fooled. And I’ve claimed it as a CAV. It’s just that I wanted as much historically accurate insignia as I could create.

The world of car registration and title can be obscure and different from one place to the next. Wherever the car goes it will be registered and titled with the numbers it has now or else it will be registered and titled based on its original CAV cert of origin. Boys and their toys.... :)

Rob
great pictures. you must have had a perfect overcast with just the right light. And the pavement was perfect. Great flash control and I'd guess multiple lights to shoot with. Very nice.

Pat

Supporter

They had the sold banner up yesterday on Hemmings but it's gone today. Perhaps the deal fell through.
For a HRE build CAV with Webers, $110K is an attractive price. I didn't see it in the spec but I believe Rob upgraded to FIA compliant Fuel Safe fuel cells in the car. These are not cheap but absolutely worth every penny.

I hope Rob continues in the forum post sale.

Last edited:

I agree it does look very nice. I was crestfallen to see it listed as sold on Hemming's. I'll be interested to see if it's still available.

The car is still for sale. Long distance tire kickers so far. Hemmings isn't the best site for these kinds of cars. Oh well I'm in no hurry. My minor maintenance has been a new clutch and slave cylinder. The real "project" was replacing the CAV rubber fuel bladder on the passenger side. I went ahead and had both passenger and driver side cells custom made by Fuelsafe in Oregon. Shipped them the "Buck Rogers Aviation" (yup that's the name) originals and was very pleased with the result. Still some flex in them (they're a thick bone-colored plastic/polymer of some kind) but much sturdier and long-term reliable. They also provided a set of CAD drawings. An interesting tidbit is the original owner of this car....a Pennsylvania doctor that developed his own "supercar" and then went to prison for tax evasion. You may recognize "his" car as basically a Factory Five GTM.
Google: David Alan GT Malan.

Rob
great pictures. you must have had a perfect overcast with just the right light. And the pavement was perfect. Great flash control and I'd guess multiple lights to shoot with. Very nice.
I used my Nikon SLR with one remote flash. It was an overcast morning about 9am. The commercial garage I used has rooftop parking and a pale grey surface with the lines kind of faded out. Works out well. But last time I went there with another car the security guard threatened to call the police if I didn't leave. Humorless non-car guy. So I dragged out the discussion while shooting...and left. Oh well.

NickF

Lifetime Supporter

Are you firm on the price? Consider any partial trades? I have a F250R Super Raptor I have 85k into, and I would do a partial of my truck and 40k? Google F250R.com I can send pics if you send me your email.

Pat

Supporter

Rob, you may want to post some pictures here on the forum. It's a great HRE car with all the goodies and I'd think with a little more exposure, it would go quickly.

NickF

Lifetime Supporter

I bought the car and we are working on it now. Very clean car, and we are going to make it look more period correct and give it a beastly drivetrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.