change renault gearbox to audi

K

keith k

my renault box has bust for a second time. has anyone changed their renault unit to an audi unit or similar. what's involved? can i retain the existing shifter linkage/ design that suits the renault. if i stay with renault whats the strongest set up??
any help much appreciated.
confused.gif

If I may add a couple of questions on top of Keith's for those 'in the know', I've been following various posts on different transaxles being used in '40s. I'm curious about the strength of the other 'boxes and what sort of horsepower/torque they can take relative to the UN1. Has anyone done a cost comparison with these 'boxes, and their availability/ease of rebuild. I know there is an article in Fortyfication about uprating the UN1 input shaft by fabricating a single shaft to replace the original two. The UN1 does have an achilles heel, it would be interesting to know if there is an off the shelf replacement that won't break the bank compared to an upgrade.
frown.gif

We have found the replacement of the Input shaft with a heavy duty single unit we fabricate has alleviated the possible problems you are having.

The quoted rating of the UN1 is 400 Hp. I have seen seruis abuse of the Renault one this has been upgrade and the box standing it nicely.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Keith,

The changing of gearboxes from one type to another is a VERY LARGE job and it would be safest to say that NOTHING FITS !!!!!!

New mounts, adaptor plates, clutches, release and spiggot bearings, starter motors and definately gearchanges would ALL have to be redesigned and fitted. A lot of time could be saved with purchasing some parts from a manufacturer but the clearance issue might cause problems.

I would suggest that you keep the renault box and increase its strength. Malcome in England is racing his GTD with one of these boxes and I have sen him give it some serious stick at Brighton. The change over shaft that GT40NZ offer looks very good quality and I would be starting there.

Best wishes,

Robert

Howard Jones

Supporter
Go to www.bell-performance.co.uk Complete information there on UNI Renault upgrade including pictures, cost, etc. If I was in England and had a broken renault gearbox I would do this upgrade along with a LSD unit right now!

[ March 29, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

Back