changing engines

what mods might I have to do to go from my 302 engine to a stroker 351w. I know it is taller, could I use the same headers? thanks; chuck

Only if they are non-crossover. Even if they are crossover design they become specific to the height of the exh ports on the heads you choose as many aftermart heads now have raised exhaust ports. Other than that the carbs will be positioned higher. Engine mounts-bell housing bolt pattern and flywheel/clutch are the same although in the case of the flywheel it would pay to ascertain the dia etc is the same as your 302 to avoid the rebalance scenario. Sump while roughly the same physical size has a larger dia where it fits around rear main cap.

I was afraid of that. I will probably stick with a 302 based motor then to avoid all the incidental changes that will crop up and add to the expense.

If you dont wish to go to the added expense of an alloy block there are several iron 302w dimensioned aftermarket blocks available that will go out to around 4.200" bore. That combined with the 3.25" stroke crank will give 360 odd cu in & still a comfortable rod ratio. If the car is to be mainly street driven then the 3.4" crank could be considered for around 380 cu in. If going that large it would be wise to consider the 2.75" main brg option, but then the $$ start to spiral & your getting into an odd ball parts list.
As long as you pick a cyl head with production based port heights your current exhausts will fit, but remember the larger displacements may call for a larger pipe dia as well plus you get to play with those carbs all over again:).

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Chuck,

Have to agree with Jac on this one.

The new Boss 302 block from Ford Racing was designed for larger displacements. We've had great sucess with the 347s from Ford Racing based on the 5.0 sportsman block.

There was a problem with the headers on this crate motor as the new "Z" heads have raised ports, inverted bolt pattern and the castings are wider. Of course that's if you go the whole motor. A new short block with your present heads and induction would go easily.

Here's a pic of our latest escapee, with the Ford Racing 347/ Z Heads with Webers, CAV Headers modified to fit. It's a land based missle!

Cheers

Attachments

• CHPIM1328.jpg
    CHPIM1328.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 365
Back