Changing rod ends for bushes

My chassis is built with all rod ends (rose joints) at the rear. Is it possible to change these to bushes to give a more compliant ride without sacrificing adjustability?
Thanks
Simon

Like this one

Attachments

• 75307-rod-ends.jpg
    75307-rod-ends.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 249
Simon;
There are several bushing ends available I have seen with threaded attachment, and I think several sizes of diameters and threads. I would think you would be OK if you could fit these to your suspension as they are substantially wider than a rod end. Also, since rod ends can rotate about multiple axis you may find yourself with some binding in the suspension since the bushed ends only rotate about the bore. You may find, from your photo you posted, that there may be some modifications necessary to mount the bushed ends and keep the geometry you currently have.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil.

Chris, don't panic! the suspension setup is just sitting on the chassis at the moment and only temporarily bolted together. I'm trying to get some things sorted before I fit it all correctly.

Simon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My intention, of course, is sincere constructive criticism /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, so I would like to say one thing about that A-arm mounting scheme. that bolt is going to be severely stressed. There are 2 major things that that bolt has to deal with. 1) the fact that it is a lower A-arm and the heavier loaded of the two arms, and 2) cyclical loading. If the rod-end stays in the position it is in the picture, it's probably OK. Personally, I would not drive it if the rod end were in the middle. I knew you weren't going to drive it with all that empty space and no washers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess you are setting it up to have the rod-end in that position because you probably switched over from a rubber bushed arm to the rod-end style and designed it so the rod-end won't be in the middle of the bolt span. Just figured that out... duh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Nice looking a-arm though!

Instead of replacing the rod end with a bush, we bush where the bolt goes through the chassis. I got the idea from the original Cobra 427 trailing arm mounts. Having large housings also spreads the loads into the sheetmetal nicely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trarmmt.gif

Back