Chassis options

Bart Roberts

Supporter
I posted before about the body I have, it's very close to original specs. I had planned on building a chassis from scratch but time has not been on my side. I did a little research and it looks like Chris Arden with Arden Cars/Active power will sell just a chassis, as will the following, Tornado, Southern GT, GT Forte, all in the UK. Are there other options besides the ones I am aware? Pros and cons of the ones mentioned?
Thanks, Bart

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
If you look at my build log SGT#70, (Southern GT Chassis) I have had to build an original front style structure to handle an original front clam with the internal panels, NACA tubes and brake ducts. I am now on the back clamshell and had to temporarily remove the rear roll bar down tubes to see where I need to cut the inner clam structure to remove the least material possible. The mounting for the rear clam is a different point in space so I am making new brackets to hold the bobbin that the parrot beak grabs. The original rear alloy wheel was 9" so it is a chore to fit a 10" wide rear wheel with out making fender flares My 295/55/15 Avon tires extended past the fender lip so I just received replacement 275/55/15's and have cut 3/4" out of the track by modifying links, lower A arms and brackets by trimming and moving holes. I hope to remount the rear suspension this week and see where I fit.

From my research the GOX tubular chassis which I do not believe is made anymore would have been the closest thing to mount an original style body on and it had a steel spyder section.

Tornado is similar to the Southern GT chassis but the bodies do not have the inner panels from what I have seen and it appears the Arden chassis is the same way with no inner panels on the front and rear clam.

I think there is enough information out here about the shying away from GTForte.

If you do not care about the original style clamshells, then you can go with RCR, Active Power, Tornado or Southern. I would highly recommend whom ever you buy your chassis and body from you also get windshields to go with (2) because it seems no two spyders are made the same inclusive of steel monocoque manufacturers.

SouthernGT is not in business anymore. Assets are sold to AK Sportscars.
GT Forte, is like flushing your hard earned money through the toilet. You pay, get nothing.

Close to specs, Ill assume you're talking about monocoque chassis, well options are not much as most sell a tubular chassis.
Tornado UK has "a" Monocoque as does RCR in the states. But not as close in the defenition as an Abby pannels Monocoque can be.

Tubular chassis wise, anything can be made to fit. A grinder & welder is all you'll need.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
My front and rear clamshells were racing spares for P1027 (and were vintage raced on the car). While just a copy of the originals from 1027, I really don't want to modify them to fit a chassis. I'll modify the chassis to fit them. But options for a chassis seem pretty limited.

I've got a southern gt chassis no 72. And it took months of research to decide that was the best option for me. And now AK have taken over its just up the road from home its perfect. I would suggest giving Neil at AK a ring he's fantastic. Another strong Contender is Andy at tornado however I've not had any dealings so cannot comment. However I would suggest searching on the site "gtforte" I think that will squash that option. If he would supply what he takes the money for I'd have likely gone for his build your own kit. However for the going rate of an AK/Southern chassis its not worth the effort of building it yourself they are quite reasonably priced. I would then modify the chassis to suit your application

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I’d buy the chassis unpainted/uncoated. Also worth considering is the value of the car once finished. These different makes are all valuated differently. And you need to find a company who will sell you the parts, and not tell you to bugger off halfway through the build.

Hello Bart,

I will try not to hi-jack your thread, but I am sort of in the same boat. I do not have a body, but I want the most authentic body available, and I wan’t to build a MK2. As your research suggests, the two main contenders are Southern(AK) or Tornado.
Tornado states:
The TSC GT40 body shell is available in both MK1 and MKII versions and both are exact reproductions of the original GT40 which dominated Le Mans during the late 1960's. They are so authentic that panels have been used during the restoration of original cars.
So would this mean that your original clams would fit a Tornado chassis? I don’t know.
I would also like the most “Authentic” chassis. Meaning I want it to handle like a real GT40, and not have a modern redesigned suspension like an RCR. Mine would be used 90% on track.
As far as I can tell, the AK uses rear hub cast from an original GT40, and AK seem very serious about continuing the development of the Southern GT car. I get the impression that the AK has a more capable chassis, but I might be wrong or biased from seeing Tornados from yesteryear with Essex v6’s and Granada uprights.
in any case, I am considering if you could combine the kits, Tornado body and AK chassis, with some grinding and welding. I know others are strengthening and modifying their chassis anyway, when they get them.
I hope there are some Southern/AK/Tornado owners/builders who can help out with their wealth of knowledge.

Thanks

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I have looked extensively at a Tornado MK1 body and it is not an exact replica. I cannot speak to the MKII, but most bodies built front and rear do not have all the inner paneling done or have fender flares of incorrect sizing nostril vents wrong shape size, ect ect. It is difficult making a MKI body fit a Southern Chassis as it would a Tornado because of the steel section in the front being a different design and height's. The rear roll bar supports of the Southern GT chassis foul the inner panels on the MK1 clam where it shuts around the hood catches.

I recommend whom ever you go with, to get their body and WINDSHIELD that matches to go with their chassis as this will leave you less work and figuring out to do. Or you do what I did and cobble the two bits together.... (I am still in the process)

Thanks David,

I suspected as much. But I guess modifying a tube chassis to fit a body, is easier than the other way around. I am going through the many build threads on here, and I suppose I it is all about the time you and effort you want to put into it. Getting everything from the same supplier is of course the easiest solution. It seems like the Tornado MK2 body is a different rear clam, and some humps to bond onto the MK1 front clam, to raise the profile of the front wheel arches. I suppose that is what they did to the original as well?
I think I will have to go and visit both places, and let them convince me one way or the other :)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's the deal: Nothing fits anything UNLESS you purchase the body fiberglass pieces from the same manufacturer as the chassis. Otherwise, it's gonna be a "cut to fit" one thing or the other. This is either easy or hard depending on your skill set. Mostly just a learning experience and a great time to buy a Tig welder and some other metal working tools like an angle grinder, disk sander, and a Sawzall.

IMHO Toronado or Southern GT/ AK are well-known chassis that have been in production for a long time. Either would be a good basis for a build. RCR in the US does an aluminum pannel chassis that is also well known and has been in production for some time.

Where are you? This is why I always try and remind people to modify their profiles to include their country and city. It really helps us help you. The side of the pond you are on might just make all the difference when you figure in shipping/taxes/ etc.

Thanks Howard,

I thought my location was visible. I agree it is important to know, if you want the right advice. I am in Gothenburg, Sweden. Or in Cologne, Germany. The UK suppliers are probably the most relevant for us in Europe.
I would like to do what David is doing, and adapt a true to original body, to a tried and testet chassis. But it is all very theoretical. I don’t actually know how far off the bodies of the various manufacturers are from original.
I just know from the Cobra scene, that many of them have strayed fairly far from the originals.

Bart Roberts

Supporter
Here's the deal: Nothing fits anything UNLESS you purchase the body fiberglass pieces from the same manufacturer as the chassis. Otherwise, it's gonna be a "cut to fit" one thing or the other. This is either easy or hard depending on your skill set. Mostly just a learning experience and a great time to buy a Tig welder and some other metal working tools like an angle grinder, disk sander, and a Sawzall.

IMHO Toronado or Southern GT/ AK are well-known chassis that have been in production for a long time. Either would be a good basis for a build. RCR in the US does an aluminum pannel chassis that is also well known and has been in production for some time.

Where are you? This is why I always try and remind people to modify their profiles to include their country and city. It really helps us help you. The side of the pond you are on might just make all the difference when you figure in shipping/taxes/ etc.

I'm in the USA and I may have located an unbuilt GTD chassis. I'll know more in a week or so.

Back