Chevron B16 Kit car?

Ko1 ...as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate the passion with which you have expressed yours....and as your comments are aimed squarely at the aluminum chassis ..and mine is the only one on the market at present , I hope you will allow me to voice my opinion with same commitment.

just an FYI but Panhard produced an all aluminum car back in 1953 , even with a cast aluminum chassis,so nothing is new in the motorcar world...

MANY high performance production cars are now produced with aluminum chassis....All current Ferraris, Corvette, Cadillac XLR, Audi , Spyker, Bugatti to name a few....unibody construction is nothing more than a TUB as you put it.

I am not here to pat myself on the back.
I have no backing or partners, and RCR is totally self funded from a background in production and racing from working with GM......
I work my tail off and hope to keep RCR on the map for a very long time to come and hope to be able to be remembered for not copying or regurgitating someone elses hard work and design philosophy but for having the nuts to go out on a limb and have the courage of my convictions and try something new in this arena...some people may not agree with my ideas or design but they are probably the same people that are always looking for a reason to complain without ever having the balls to do it for themselves...then so be it....dont complain ,just dont buy an RCR product...go out and do it for yourself.

Maybe if you had not quit the KIT CAR industry we may associate your name with the likes of Chuck Beck,Tom McBurnie and the Manx Meyers buggy,that is still going strong allbeit with a Subaru engine now...all of which are stalwarts in the industry....

Welcome to the GT40 forum......

ps. Jon Staudacher...is a very good pal of mine and if you are a boat guy you will know who he is.

Fran ....All I have tried to say is that steel frame cars "tub, unibody, or rail" would be better for some people with the old KIT car drive everyday and almost on any rough road and severly bumpy surface like real roads are today .....and no I do NOT produce the car and no I have never "purchased" one of Chris' cars but have talked with him and some real customers of his when I wa sgoing to build this car .....even though it is so small....
Sorry to have disrupted your group of friends and yes I do think your "TUB" has it's place and is really more thsn s frame ...it IS a work of art .....Function and form ...best to you personally.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
ko1,

I haven't been following the forum too closely for other reasons lately, but I got pretty stoked when I saw the B16 come up as a thread topic. I was a little disappointed as to where the thread went, but that's life.

As you have experienced, things get a little emotional when someone joins the forum, posts anonymously and their first post is for something for sale without supporting the forum.

Perhaps a post in the introductions forum, a real name instead of "cool1", or a signature with a hint of individuality or at least an identity (or a contribution to the forum and a post in the for sale area) might go a long way to easing your introduction.

Best,

As to the B16 body I am the one who puchased it from Ko1. I am in the process of sourcing parts. Mamba Motorsports front and rear uprights bearings and hubs Formula Ford , 2.4 Quad Four on a Getrag 016 AFC transaxle. Yes it will be tight. Wilwood Powerlite or Minilite four piston calipers rear with hand brake. Delta /AP rotors. This car will be on the street. When I pick up the body I will start on the chassis chrome moly tube main body tubbed with aluminium. If anyone has drawings of the chassis B16 or B19 and suspension they would like to sell it would save me alot of time. Chris at Active Power will be making new moulds for this car.
Dave

P.S. Fran at RCR has one of the best reputations around I have talked to alot of people all over the world getting as much info as I can on this car. He's expensive but you get what you paid for.

Just an update on the B16. I am having a set of moulds made for the B16. The cockpit section has been cleaned up squared sections built up for a good mould. John at The Fiberglass Workshop is doing the work.
Dave

Just a few pictures.
Dave

Attachments

• dave-3.jpg
    dave-3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • dave 1.jpg
    dave 1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,067
  • dave-4.jpg
    dave-4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 938
  • dave-5.jpg
    dave-5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 974
FWIW I read in the November issue of Octane magazine (UK) that Chevron cars (the Company) has been bought by Chris Smith, founder of Westfield sportscars. The article states "the first Chris Smith built Chevron B8 will be ready for it's maiden outing at the V de V meeting at Estoril in November".

It goes on to say that "later there will be a B16 while spare parts for early cars will be made available to current Chevron owners".

THere are no contact details in the article. The Westfiled company was sold a while ago & I guess Mr Smith is the ideal sort of chap to keep the Chevron brand alive.. apparentley the company purchase came with many original drawings, jigs & moulds.

Hope this may be of some help to you guys.

Julian,
I have been in contact with Helen Bashford-Malkie and Chris Smith is in no way associated with Chevron Racing. I don't know what the story is. He may have bought the trade mark from Roger Anderson before he died. I see a lot of patents being filed for the B8,B16and B19 by Chevron Racing,(google) not common in the race car industry because the technology changes so fast. Your in the UK keep us in the loop.
Dave

Hi Dave,

OK, I had no idea what's going on with the company or name, just thought I'd relay across what I'd read. if it's any help I can scan & send the article if you pm me your email.

Great looking car BTW, great to see the pictures, keep up the good work!

regds,

I read the article. I think there may be a battle of the Chevrons in the future in the UK. I am in the process of building a road car from scratch. I have posted some pictures on other threads. I will ost more as I progress.
Dave

Just to clear a few things up. Roger Anderson is not dead thank's Scott. He has a site or lives in Florida.(Chevron Tiga Cars ?) Chris Smith's site is www.chevronracing cars.com Vin Malkie's site is web.chevronbiteus.net
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevron_Cars_Ltd states that Chris Smith owns the controling shares in Chevron Cars LTD as of 2006 ( from Anderson&Coleman) as per the article.
Dave

Just a few more pictures. I hope to fisnish my electrical serivce to the garage this week so I can get my compressor and welder up and running so I can start the chassis.
Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0162.JPG
    IMGP0162.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 711
  • IMGP0163.JPG
    IMGP0163.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 651
  • IMGP0164.JPG
    IMGP0164.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 652
That should make a fantastic looking car when completed!

What is the wheelbase of the B16?

(Wondering how it compares with the dimutive 85" W/B of my Deserter....) Trying to stuff A-arm front and 5-link rear suspension in the thing is a dedicated exercise in utilizing the available space!
Jeff

Back