Classic Car Developments Chassis #3

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Not original equipment back in '66, but I figure I will need this skid plate to avoid speed bump rash.
Skid plate.jpg

Woohoo! We have axles! The car is now drivable, or would be if we could get it out of the workshop. Need to move the D-Type and SSKs first. Next week...
Axle.jpg

Neil

Supporter
A 'skid plate" is a good idea. I've often wondered why no one has put a pair of casters under the nose of their car. If the caster mounting plate is mounted on the inner side of the nose with a thick spacer that also distributes the stress over a wide area, it would hang down an inch or so but it would roll the nose up over driveways & speed bumps, etc.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats Brian, It is great to see and hear it under it's own power. An excellent job done by all.

Regards Brian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
That looks and sounds brilliant.
Congratulations.

Do you now have to go through the equivalent of IVA inspection to get it plated for the roads?
Ian

Brian Stewart
Supporter
hi how do you phase out the u -joint drive shaft on the wheel side against the lobro joint on the gearbox? anything spécial?

Nothing special done. The axles are pretty much in a straight line from transmission to hub. We will do a proper shakedown at the track next week and see if we encounter any problems.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
That looks and sounds brilliant.
Congratulations.

Do you now have to go through the equivalent of IVA inspection to get it plated for the roads?
Ian
Thanks Ian. Yes, it has had to be approved by the Limited Volume Vehicle Technical Association (LVVTA) who look at design, engineering and safety. They have given it their big tick so step one completed. It now has to be inspected by a certifier (who has been keeping an eye on the build over the past two years), then inspected by NZTA (government organisation) before it can be registered.

To keep it as authentic as possible we have used 4-point harness, original style hydraulic handbrake, perspex windows, open brake balance bar, and so on. These things are all illegal on road cars in NZ. To get around this the car has to be registered with motorsport NZ as a competition car and issued with authority cards for these non-compliant items and , ultimately, with a COD and logbook. This is how rally cars in NZ are able to be driven on public roads. A bit of a hassle but worthwhile. Only downside is that to keep the certification current I have to enter it in two Motorsport NZ sanctions event each year... What a bummer. :)

[QUOTE="brianstewart, post: 534759, member: 11480" Only downside is that to keep the certification current I have to enter it in two Motorsport NZ sanctions event each year... What a bummer. :)[/QUOTE]

I can fly down to NZ and help you out with that...it must be so rough!

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Pretty much the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle added - fire extinguisher plumbed in with internal and external pulls (hope I never have to use it).

In its natural environment. At Teretonga Park race circuit for a testing session. A couple of electrical gremlins, one of which we sorted on site, the other will take a bit more sleuthing. Suspension and steering all performed well. It's goes like a cut cat. Pretty happy chappie.

This was the first day it was really in the public eye and I was quite taken aback by the amount of interest shown in it. Lots of people wanting to know about it and wanting to take pictures. Video below.

Extinguisher.jpg
Pull.jpg
IMG_2218.jpg

NickF

Lifetime Supporter
Pretty much the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle added - fire extinguisher plumbed in with internal and external pulls (hope I never have to use it).

In its natural environment. At Teretonga Park race circuit for a testing session. A couple of electrical gremlins, one of which we sorted on site, the other will take a bit more sleuthing. Suspension and steering all performed well. It's goes like a cut cat. Pretty happy chappie.

This was the first day it was really in the public eye and I was quite taken aback by the amount of interest shown in it. Lots of people wanting to know about it and wanting to take pictures. Video below.

View attachment 97710View attachment 97711View attachment 97712
Well deserved outcome, that is a awesome machine. The years you guys spend building these dream machines is a labor of love. Much respect for all you guys building. Congrats.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats Brian, it has been a long journey. But the car speaks for it's self. It is absolutely beautiful. Job well done.

Regards Brian

Back