Club Agm

Hello All,
Well, it is a very long time since I last posted on this forum. I am posting now because I can see that some of you seem to have drawn the conclusion that there is a subversive hidden agenda for the forthcoming AGM, so let's see if I can calm matters for you.

Firstly, it is important for me to make it clear that I am an ordinary club member and not a committee member.

2006 has seen significant changes for the club on two key fronts.

The first and most significant concerns the magazine. This had thrived on the basis that sufficient copy had been received from the membership to assemble four issues a year up to the summer of 2006. Since last summer the committee has not received enough copy to fill one full issue.

The other is that we have not fielded enough cars at a number of competition events this year.

Now, I care about this club a lot. I have served my time as a committee member. I have co-edited the magazine with Paul. I have had a lot of fun shooting the breeze with my racing friends at the weekends and I don't want it all to fizzle out. If nothing positive is done now I think there is a better than even chance that this will be the inevitable outcome, is this really what we want to happen? I don't think so.

So, the club needs to be re-launched and re-vitalised with an "offer" that is different to the Enthusiasts' Club. At the moment I don't see any suggestions coming from other members, although I am still hopeful that some may come forward at the AGM.

Some of you are quite rightly concerned to ensure that the AGM is conducted in accordance with the Club Rules, so let me clarify.

Rule 22 states "The Annual General Meeting of the club shall be held in the month of October..." This is why the meeting is on the 28th. There isn't provision in the rules for a notice period for the AGM.

Rule 24 states "When members wish a matter to be discussed at a General Meeting, the text of such matters signed by at least two members shall be sent to the Secretary at least 14 days before the date of such meetings so that it may be included in the agenda.
A copy of the Agenda shall be made available to each member on the morning of the AGM."

Paul and I sent a signed proposal to the committee on the 6th October. It is a proposal for the eyes of those who are entitled to attend the AGM, so I trust you will all understand that I have no intention of publishing the details on an open forum. I will however confirm that it is a positive proposal to get the club back to strength. It is being put forward by two members who have contributed to the club's success in the past. You will be relieved to hear that our proposal is entirely in accord with the club's objectives in Rule 2. That is our simple and straight forward agenda.

If our proposal is voted through at the AGM there will need to be some changes to the Club Rules for it to work. If the membership present on the day do not vote for our proposal the rule changes won't be needed. Rule 28 states "Any alteration may be made to these rules provided that a) details of the proposed alteration or alterations are included in the notice of the General Meeting..." So, this is why you have received this information with your notice of the meeting.

We were concerned to stay within the MSA's definition of a club, so we have already checked their website to ensure we will still be compliant if the membership vote our proposals through.

Martin W is quite right when he says that I would not want my address given out over the net. We live in North Hampshire and the full adress is on your AGM notification letter. I hope to see you there if you can make it.

In the meantime I would like to respectfully suggest that this thread is used to see if there are any positive suggestions to turn the fortunes of the club around so that we can continue to enjoy and promote the GT40 and other similar cars together.

Andrew
(With apologies to John Bate, the avatur below describes my old car which is now his property, I will get round to changing it)

I know Paul is at Donington today - I am sure that he will respond to this thread later today when he gets back.

Thanks Martin, up and out the house at 4am today, back at 19:00 ish' - still, I have updated the current club website with AGM details, together with an email link for anyone who believes they should have received an AGM notification letter, but has not yet done so.

best

Mike Pass

Supporter
Despite the postal strike and the many problems this has caused I have now received the info for the AGM. Thanks again to all concerned.
I appreciate the points made by Andrew and applaud efforts made by all to improve the club. I am however concerned by some of the changes being proposed which at face value appear to be a move towards the undemocratic and elitist. I appreciate that the club has a strong base in competion but we should still open to all whatever their slant on the GT40 world. Whilst maintaining the distinct character of the GTD40 Club let's try and be inclusive and not exclusive and also avoid bringing in different grades of member - I don't want it to end up like a golf or yacht club with an IN crowd and the rest left out. Division is not the best route to harmony and success for any organisation.

MikeP
PS I'm doing my best as I now have two GTD40s

Complete Beginners Guide to GTD Events
I cannot attend the AGM but have a request to make. I think that some of the long standing members do not perhaps realise that what is obvious to them, may not be obvious to the rest of us. I was very surprised to see the Brighton and Hove Sprint(?) did in fact take place at Goodwood. Also,I would have taken my family to stay at Centre Parcs if I had known more about Longleat. Therefore could the club publish full details about the events the GTD club attends with dates, how to obtain regs and when, and perhaps some background information and events. I intend to attend to the Le Mans Classic for the first time this year - even information about what the club is doing for that would be useful. It is obvious the club needs something doing as people who seem to get along well at meetings are falling out on this 'thread.'
Nice post Mr. Fordyce - no apology needed. I have no regrets about buying your/my car. I enjoy it more every time I go out for a thrash. Its just been on a rolling road which has been a very good investment indeed - a good improvement. Kindest regards to you.

Thankyou Andrew for explaining some of the concerns, I agree that the meeting has to be held in October as per the rules, but sending out notices just over two weeks before the date does not give any other members time to table proposals for the agenda within the 14 day rule.

I do hope that the committee will be sending to all members entitled to attend, a copy of the proposal, the agenda and the accounts not included in the notice together with a copy of the minutes of the meeting, if the are unable to attend the AGM because of the short notice and therefore will not receive them at the meeting.

Hi Tim,

The club have previously published the accounts and minutes of the AGM in the club magazine for the benefit of any club members that do not attend on the day. In the event of a magazine not being viable, we would obviously send a separate mailing to all club members detailing the events of the day accordingly. (minutes accounts etc)

I would also remind club members that the committee have always welcomed comment and suggestions + proposals, 'on the day' and have never refused to discuss matters arising. Should any club member have any other proposal they would like to put forward, or have other possible solutions in mind, please attend and speak up on the day, or pass to either a committee member or another member that is attending to be voiced.

Looking forward to a positive future......

I posted this a while ago, but I'll ask the question again. Why don't the two clubs merge? The Cobra club caters for ALL cobra enthusiasts, not just Dax or Pilgrim owners. Surely the advantages must outweigh the disadvantages? If the GTD club is catering specifically for competition, surely there can be a competition arm in the combined club? I know both clubs (I am a member of both) often struggle with content for the superb mags, surely one combined magazine could be better? It's not necessarily a cost thing, I'm sure an increased subscription would be accepted by all members? the costs of producing the magazine would be reduced and the excellent quality could be maintained.
Forgive me if I'm talking out of turn here, it's not my intention do upset anybody, I just personally think it makes sense.

Simon

ps, I'm as guilty as the next man. I've been in the clubs and posting here for years, but never submitted a thing for the magazines. As I've had so many '40's, I suppose I should get scribbling!

Hi

I am a (recent) member of the enthusiasts club and am looking to join you guy's as a good way of getting track time with my (soon to be delivered) RCR. To this end I have recently been in touch with Paul Thompson.

"I posted this a while ago, but I'll ask the question again. Why don't the two clubs merge? The Cobra club caters for ALL cobra enthusiasts, not just Dax or Pilgrim owners. Surely the advantages must outweigh the disadvantages? If the GTD club is catering specifically for competition, surely there can be a competition arm in the combined club?"

Could'nt agree more with the above sentiments, particularly since I'm advised that owning an RCR (or any other make) is not a bar to membership.

I intend to join you anyway but one "umbrella" club, particularly given our relative small numbers does seem to make sense. All this said without knowledge of any history, just a newbie's personal view.

John

Paul / Andrew, I need to clarify a point with you. Andrew stated that for any item or proposal to be put forward for discussion at the AGM it must be submitted not less than 14 days before the meeting ( this was not possible due to the late notice of the meeting ) and Paul asks for any items from members for discussions at the AGM to be forwarded to a committee member. As it is not possible due other commitments for a lot of us to attend this meeting, and therefore presumably have no say in the forward direction of the club, are you accepting proposals/resolutions/ideas/comment for discussion at this meeting. Due to the proposed very major changes to the club and its constitution, I believe that following any discussion at the AGM a full postal ballot should be undertaken to assess the feelings of the whole membership, and to give the committee a mandate to run the clubs affairs in the future. I understand the issues involved and the thinking behind Andrew and Pauls resolution, but there parts of that resolution that I disagree with as not being in the best interests of the whole of the current membership, particularly the disparity between "associate" and "competition" members, Frank

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Forgive me if I'm wrong BUT

Are not all the GTD events open to people belong to Enthusiasts club? (For instance Goodwood track day?)

Likewise are not GTD club members invited to join in the Enthusiast club events. (Example here Lemans Classic)

I would also think a single club would be stronger than the 2 halves

Ian

Hello Frank, good to hear from you.

Well, here I am posting again within 24 hours! I hope this isn't going to become a habit.

You know, looking back over the posts on this thread I can't find even one positive suggestion from anyone about a way to preserve the GTD 40 Car Club. There has been a whole year since the last AGM for everyone to put forward positive suggestions to find a new way forward for the Club, there hasn't been a need to wait until two weeks beforethe AGM.

So how many has the committee received? None.

If you have a proposal, I urge you to send it to the committee and I am sure it will be discussed at the AGM.

A good and clear set of Club Rules was set up long ago to conduct the business of the Club and I for one think it is important that we operate within the rules, so I feel it is inappropriate to try to make new rules up to suit those who, for whatever reason, are unable to attend the AGM.

Now, please re-read my first post and you will see that you need to hear our main proposal before focussing on the rule changes,they are only going to be necessary if those at the AGM agree with and vote through our main proposal and, before you ask, I am not opening that up for discussion on this open forum.

So please, I ask all of you, stop with "no" and start to come up with something positive if you want this Club to survive and thrive in the future.

Andrew

Recieved notification by post a couple of days ago - I will be out of the country until the night before, so will do my best to attend.

Are you sure there wont be dancing girls!!!

JulianBW

Malcolm

Supporter
With the club a bit down on its luck, Andrew is seemingly coming in with an idea he wishes to explore, a big bucketfull of enthusiasm and energy with the sole aim of revitalising the club. As he points out, no-one else has stepped forward. His track record of taking the club forward from his time on the committee, to me, is impeccable. Give the guy a chance and don't just say no because you haven't heard the full proposal yet. I'm intrigued by this as much as the rest of you so will be there to hear what is said.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
As an outsider and no connection to either club I make the following observations/suggestions. Take them for what they are worth. I don't know the club rules, by-laws etc, and it is not my intention to offend anyone.

1. It appears that a suggestion to save/strengthen the GTD 40 Car Club was made. It
was to merge it with the Enthusiasts Club.

2. Does the club have to vote upon the proposed changes now? Why can't the club hold
a second meeting at a later date to vote upon changes to the club? Give out ample
notice to all concerned, this way no one can complain later.

Just my two cents. If the by-laws or whatever rules you are regulated by allow such, I would recommend said tact. Good luck.

I have now received my AGM notice – but also can’t attend due to the short notice and other commitments. Could you please advise what proxy (or other arrangements) are in place to allow members to vote who cannot attend.

Also, it looks like non GTD competition cars will be allowed to compete – what are the restrictions on this? I race a Lola T590 in the historic sports 2000 series – would this qualify for ‘competition membership’?

Hi guys, just a quick message from someone who paid his subscription this year because it was direct debit and went out before I knew there was a problem and that everyone was being given free membership for a year. I dont mind so much if I`m given the same courtesy next year. I`ve not had notification of the agm yet so dont know what changes you guys are talking about so cant comment. I joined the club quite a few years ago now because I wanted to go hillclimbing in my new GTD when its ready. Health problems have delayed that somewhat but I havent given up hope and that there will be a club to compete in and that it wont be concentrated too far south. Best of luck with anything that benefits the club as a whole. Hope to see you guys again soon.

Got my agm letter today and saw the outline of the proposals. Obviously people at the agm will get the full picture along with reasons for the proposed changes. A three level? membership system seems a little complicated without knowing why. Those of us up north have always accepted the fact that national clubs are more concentrated down south and events tend to favour those that live down there so we have always been second class members of any club really. Very often we end up subsidising the fun that others have. I want to take part in competition but cant at the moment, does the intention allow me to be a Competition Member? The words "Associate Member" have a second class feel to them and I dont think many people will be interested in that unless the annual fee reflects the reduced benefits that it would entail.I`ll trust you guys to make a fair decision for all of us. I look forward to hearing what you guys decide at the agm. No offence intended to anyone with any of my comments by the way.

Hello again. I presume the agm has been and gone? I, like many others could not make it for various reasons and would of course like to know what happened regarding the proposed changes. Will we receive details in the post or will someone outline any changes here? I`m not familiar with the rules on how these things are done but any news would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kev -

A mailing should be going to club members this coming weekend which will explain all and bring people up to speed. The meeting was well supported and a new more positive future for the club and its membership is anticipated.

:)

Back