Clutch help

Morning all
I'm working on a customers GTD and he wants me to put a new clutch set up in it . Ford 302 to Renault un1 . Present set up is a tilton 7 1/4" triple disc . This happens to be the car I built some 15 years ago so I'm very familiar with the car, at that time there were not to many choices out there ! Now I'm sure there's something better suited for street driving than what I put in it originally. Any suggestions will be appreciated greatly! Right now it has a stock fly wheel 157 tooth that was machined to accept the tilton unit.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Bob, I recommend using the AP single plate driven plate and AP pressure plate, I can find the part numbers if you want, these have been used on track and on highway very successfully for many years on most of the UK GTDs. Frank

Mike Pass

Supporter
I assume the car has the adaptor plate and Renault bell housing as is normal on GTDs. I have the AP clutch set up on my car. If I remember correctly the AP clutch parts are
Pressure Plate- CP2394-14
Driven Plate- CP2346-42 (For R21T-21 Spline)
I had the original flywheel drilled and tapped to suit the pressure plate. I used the original Renault clutch release arm but removed the clutch rod pin and pushrod and replaced it with an HT bolt and made up a custom length pushrod. I changed the original release bearing and carrier with an uprated one from Chris Cole. To get the best balance of clutch weight and movement I ended up with a sleeved down slave cylinder (from Chris Cole on exchange basis) and a 3/4" master cylinder. On most GTDs the clutch pipe size is 1/4" to give smooth action. The push rod length needs to be set so there is very little free play in the system to ensure full release. The clutch slave cylinder bolts are an odd size - 7mm.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

I assume the car has the adaptor plate and Renault bell housing as is normal on GTDs. I have the AP clutch set up on my car. If I remember correctly the AP clutch parts are
Pressure Plate- CP2394-14
Driven Plate- CP2346-42 (For R21T-21 Spline)
I had the original flywheel drilled and tapped to suit the pressure plate. I used the original Renault clutch release arm but removed the clutch rod pin and pushrod and replaced it with an HT bolt and made up a custom length pushrod. I changed the original release bearing and carrier with an uprated one from Chris Cole. To get the best balance of clutch weight and movement I ended up with a sleeved down slave cylinder (from Chris Cole on exchange basis) and a 3/4" master cylinder. On most GTDs the clutch pipe size is 1/4" to give smooth action. The push rod length needs to be set so there is very little free play in the system to ensure full release. The clutch slave cylinder bolts are an odd size - 7mm.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike
Mike
Thanks for the response the info is most appreciated!!
Bob

Bob, years ago when wandering through a car park in WIS I saw a fabulous Cobra parked, and I cheekily put one of my business cards under the wiper, pretty sure that might have been your car ?
Mike has given you a lot of info, but AP stuff is now very difficult to get ( they dont like making small quantities these days ! ) So alternative is Helix parts ( stronger pressure plate as well ) Alternative spline is OK as well . E mail me for further , Frank

Mike Pass

Supporter
A bit more info
1664471565301.png

Bob, years ago when wandering through a car park in WIS I saw a fabulous Cobra parked, and I cheekily put one of my business cards under the wiper, pretty sure that might have been your car ?
Mike has given you a lot of info, but AP stuff is now very difficult to get ( they dont like making small quantities these days ! ) So alternative is Helix parts ( stronger pressure plate as well ) Alternative spline is OK as well . E mail me for further , Frank

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have the same problem with the ancient gray cells, As far as I can remember my GTD used the flywheel from a 3 ltr Ford Essex V6. I have a pic somewhere - I will have a look for it. I seem to remember 121 tooth flywheel.
Cheers
Mike

For what its worth I can confirm what Mike said about GTD using the flywheel from the old Essex V6. Redrilling it to fit the Windsor V8 crank made me uncomfortable, having seen what can happen when they part company I decided to have a new steel one made to fit the ring gear of the V6 and drilled to fit the Windsor crank. I had it balanced with the crank, pistons and rods etc.

For what its worth I can confirm what Mike said about GTD using the flywheel from the old Essex V6. Redrilling it to fit the Windsor V8 crank made me uncomfortable, having seen what can happen when they part company I decided to have a new steel one made to fit the ring gear of the V6 and drilled to fit the Windsor crank. I had it balanced with the crank, pistons and rods etc.
So who did this for you ? I'd like to contact them.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
SGT used to sell these flywheels, and had them match balanced to known ford flywheels imbalance. Now I’m not sure where you’d be able to buy them anymore. Its no suppliers left for GT40 parts.

Back