Dual disc conversion Safir. Anyone used it?

David Garton

Supporter
Hello, I put this here instead of my build log. I searched this forum for an external slave kit and found a rather old post that said they offered a smaller bellhousing and flywheel that gave greater ground clearance. Please read their post below. Has anyone used this set up or have knowledge of any issues?
Thanks in advance. David

Everyone!

Safir GT40 Spares, Limited is just completing its first batch of components for our clutch/flywheel/ring gear/ bell housing assembly which will mate a small block Ford to an RBT/ZF gearbox.

The original cars used a small flywheel and ring gear, no portion of which hangs below the lowest chassis point. Many people today are using the larger 157 tooth ring gear and 11.5"+ flywheel, and the bottom of the bell housing hangs below the chassis about 1.25". If the road kill is anything but a snake, it will find its way into the clutch. Being the lowest point of the car, any bottoming out situations will be hard on the components.

Safir is offering genuine GT40 brand parts, with an 8.5" diameter twin disk, organic plate clutch (the same used in the Saleen S-7) good for over 800 ft-#s of torque, the small flywheel and ring gear, and the original style bellhousing with the two cast bosses to locate the assembly to the bottom cross menber of the frame. The package works well with the high torque Tilton or similar starter. The bell housing can be machined for mounting the external clutch slave cylinder, or drilled for a hydraulic throw out bearing.

Please give us a call!

Bob Wood 513-672-8105 days, 513-831-5628 evenings
Brady Pack
John Sadler 403-238-2246

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
David,
I purchased the complete SBF kit from them for my RCR40, 363sbf w/ZF tranny. Although I haven't had a chance to do a test drive yet, it seems to be really nice stuff and everything assembled together easily. The only modification I had to make was on my oil pan to make clearance for the starter motor. Nothing hangs below the chassis on my car. Bob Wood at Safir was very easy to work with.

Attachments

• Clutch1.jpg
    Clutch1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • Oil Pan Cutout2.jpg
    Oil Pan Cutout2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 166

David Garton

Supporter
David,
I purchased the complete SBF kit from them for my RCR40, 363sbf w/ZF tranny. Although I haven't had a chance to do a test drive yet, it seems to be really nice stuff and everything assembled together easily. The only modification I had to make was on my oil pan to make clearance for the starter motor. Nothing hangs below the chassis on my car. Bob Wood at Safir was very easy to work with.
Rod, Thanks for the reply. Looks like good stuff. Same kit I am getting. I think my pan will be fine as it is not rounded. It also comes with a cross member for mounting at the bellhousing? External slave cylinder mounting machined into the bell housing? What is the Black thing that resembles a water hose end? Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back