clutch master cylinder

I wish to replace the clutch master cylinder in my CAV GT (No.51). I have established that it is a VW T2 transporter part with 3/4" bore size. Can anyone suggest a bigger bore diamter (7/8") master cylinder but with the same mounting pattern.
Thanks

Ian Clark

Supporter
Looks like your into custom machining to keep the original casting or custom brackets to adapt another part like Girling, AP, Willwood etc. where you can get the bore you're looking for.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the change?

Cheers

I have a renault 21 turbo gearbox with a special bellhousing. The slave cylinder is a standard renault unit with 28mm bore size (more than 1 inch). I am not getting enough movement of the slave cylinder push-rod to disengage the clutch. My master cylinder is 3/4" inch and may not be big enough. Maybe I should think about reducing the bore size of the slave cylinder.But it may be difficult to find a suitable unit.

Ian Clark

Supporter
I think you're onto it there. Go with a smaller slave and leave the clutch cylinder alone. What is the lever ratio on the clutch arm? The master cylinder has a 1" stroke and ultimately you will have to depress the clutch pressure plate finger about .500" to fully disengage the clutch.

No too tricky, we can get you sorted:)

I am having the slave cylinder bore size reduced to 1 inch. Hope its enough.I will know in a few days. Thanks for your help.

Ian, the reduced bore size of the slave cylinder has done the trick. I am able to disengage the clutch now. thanks for your advice.

Back