Color

I am building a motorcycle and I need some help on the paint.If someone could give me the color code or name of the GT40's yellow paint. Is it yellow over black? I have attached a photo of my project.
I hope to build a GT(Car)in the near future. One project at a time.
This is a great site. Thanks Steve

Attachments

• 28889-big.jpg
    28889-big.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 373
That's a picture of the new Ford GT. As it is not yet in production, and the picture os of a prototype, I don't think anyone here can give you the color code. You probably need to talk to someone at Ford who is involved with the Ford GT program.

Good luck.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Steve, great looking bike a VRod I think. nearly bought one in August,but decided on the Deuce instead. Good luck
with your project. Please post pics of the final result.

Thanks for the information and I will get hold of someone at Ford. Maybe it's CONCEPT yellow.
The bike is a scratch built bike with a Harley 88 engine.
The handle bars, tank, fenders, forward controls, air dam, were all hand built. Even the light and front end are a speciality items.The frame molding was also done by hand.
The exhaust was designed by Donnie Smith.
Donnie Smith a famous custom builder and friend is doing the build through his shop. I am like a kid waiting for Christmas. Another month or so and I should have it on the road. I will post a picture when I am done. Steve

Attachments

• 28924-BUILD2.jpg
    28924-BUILD2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 314
Steve,
That color is extremely close to another color that was used on the 1970 Boss Mustangs called Competition Gold. I don't have the code but I believe you can still get it at the paint dealer.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the info. You are right when you say the computer doesn't do the color justice. I know it will be beautiful if I can get it right. I will check the other colors too. Wish me luck. Color always makes me a bit nervous. Hope I get it right.
Stay tuned for the GT Bike.
Thanks again, Steve

Hershal,

I was at your site and the car is magnificant. Beautiful color. Now, how am I going to break the news to my wife that I have to start a new project. A lot of homework first.
But by the looks of your car it would be worth it.
Again thanks and I have your car as a screen saver on my computer. A reminder that the fun never ends. Always something new to learn.
Steve

Thanks Steve for the compliments. I enjoy this car completely. It's by far the the most fun car I have owned to date.
I really like your bike design. I rode for many years. Now I consider my Cobra the 4 wheel chopper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Steve,
I think this may be Papaya Orange (is also called Mclaren Orange). It was used by Bruce Mclaren for all his Can-AM cars of the 67-70 series. Is was also the colour of the first Mclaren mod'ed Mustang in the 80's.Check out any pic on the web of a Mclaren F1 Lemans to see how close it is to the one you want. They were all this color. The code is PPG60156. I also believe that Model Car World Autofinishers (MCW) in the US produce this for modeller's with their manufacturer code “no 2070” (if you want to paint it a thimble full at a time that is!!). good luck, great bike.
cheers
Dave

Dave,

thanks for your advice. I will check into it. Always good
to have little more information. Thanks again
Steve

Steve,
I'm pretty sure the yellow GT show car is something other than McLaren orange. I know that color pretty well and it is very definitely orange. The new GT looks a bit more butterscotch than the original GT40 yellow, but not as orange as McLaren's color. On the website you list one of the two McLaren F1s looks close, but I think the lighting is making it look less orange than it really is. www.racingicons.com has a yellow original car shown that they restored. They may give you that color code which is a great yellow, but I think it is a bit brighter than the new car. I wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Scott

Steve, I think Scott is right. Here is the Mustang with that color. I had one this color. I also have a model of the new GT that is in the new color. The Mustangs color Compitition Gold is much closer.

Attachments

• 29049-7-mustang.jpg
    29049-7-mustang.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 358
Mark,
I try not to think about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hersh, had a look at your web site, love the water colors,
You really are a talented artist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Steve, love your bike the engineering and workmanship look superb. Sorry if I insulted you by thinking it was a V Rod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dave, ScottB, Hersh, Mark and Pete,

You've all been a great help. Thanks. I will was at Donnie's (builder) and picked up a House of colors catalog.
We looked at a lot of colors and made no decision. The best
thing to do is talk to the paint guys next week as that is the scheduled time for my project. I will look in to all your suggestions and do a little more homework. Maybe go pick up a model. Tried to get hold of someone at Ford but so far have not heard back.
And know that I ve seen so many color combinations on all your Gt's I am more confused than ever. They all look great. "I will have one of each please".
I will get back to you all when I decide for sure what color combination I end up with.
Pete, I took no offense. I like all the bikes. I have a 1975 chopper with a Kawasaki Z1 900 pictured, Z1000 Kawasaki and a Yamaha Road Warrior and am looking to buy a Ducati this summer. I just buy them trade them and use them. It's all fun.
Thanks again everyone for your input. If (when) I build a GT I know were to come.
Color confused but having fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

Attachments

• 29108-BGTB2a.jpg
    29108-BGTB2a.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 334
Steve, I've corresponded with a guy on another board who's doing suspension development on the Ford GT. I'll PM him and ask him if he can help you get that color code.

Back