Cool FOMOCO advert

If thats the case, i dont think the 65 race was at the norsring.
It looks more like it was at the Nürburgring

Here you can see GT103 - #12 going through what looks like the Carousel. Its also a good image of the asymmetrical ducting on the rear of the prototype. There also seems to have been a taller gurney flap added to the rear deck since Daytona, but this may just be a perculuratiy of the photo.
01c675a18359eadd78d1d1d11ae27276.jpg

d74edf3ea8e2ff24ad7730c3d9af05a9.jpg

44661079dd4b779b66f510817d9c2d55.jpg

Pit buildings looking in the other direction

8e565966942c67c617f869cad281dfb7.jpg

Here is an image of GT104 - #11 at this race, from a slightly different angle, showing the buildings on the other side of the track.

ec133554fc0f4e2f329228eb43fa4165.jpg

Does any of that help identify the location of the 65 race?
Its all a long way away from Australia (Kangaroos, not Motzart) where I am, and well before my time. Maybe one day I will get there.

Ryan

I don't think the 65 race was at the Norsing, Circuit looks too small and in the wrong location compared to photos of the area.
Learn something new every day though! Wow.

629qzpcq1h641.jpg

qY8EE1_447shRg1F7LyjmbuscyLUg_WU7vXb3cTQvhegmUIoir_BO50OSBLo03v6w5GjLO6UBJMTnqfI54KdJw
Does anyone know what the round fitting in the B pillar was for?
The mechanics could do the oil level check and refill from the filler breather just behind the B pillar, so it’s not engine oil. Brake and clutch fluid would have been up the front in the usual place (have seen photos of 103 to confirm).
Could it be a valve to allow refilling of the cooling system?
The header tank is right behind there?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Very nice. Another one I like very much is the 05 Mustang add. Steve Mc Queen, build it they will come. by the way, I love baseball. It's on youtube

Thanks for posting these pictures, what web site or other source are they from.

Knock your socks off.
I have only had a chance to go through 65 at this stage.

Neil

Supporter
Knock your socks off.

Thanks for posting the link to hose nice photos. On the last page of the 1973 Riverside Can-Am collection I found a picture of our car. A McLaren M8C #64.

Neil

Supporter
Knock your socks off.

Thank you for posting that collection. I found a picture of Bob Peckham's M8C McLaren on the last page of the 1972 Riverside Can-Am photos. That race was particularly memorable for our finish- 11th place. However the 10th place car, a Ferrari 512M pulled into the pit at the end of the race and the owner jumped in and drove his girlfriend around the track! Naturally he was black flagged and that car was disqualified. We moved up to 10th place and earned an additional $1500 for that.

qY8EE1_447shRg1F7LyjmbuscyLUg_WU7vXb3cTQvhegmUIoir_BO50OSBLo03v6w5GjLO6UBJMTnqfI54KdJw
Does anyone know what the round fitting in the B pillar was for?
The mechanics could do the oil level check and refill from the filler breather just behind the B pillar, so it’s not engine oil. Brake and clutch fluid would have been up the front in the usual place (have seen photos of 103 to confirm).
Could it be a valve to allow refilling of the cooling system?
The header tank is right behind there?

More time spent researching, and the answer was here in another thread all along.

This photo from @Mark Clapp shows the connection and the route of the hose during restoration. You can see the hole in the B pillar, a 90° fitting inside the duct, and a hose that runs up to where the header tank would be. Also note the perforated lightweight bulkheads in the ribs that made up the side sill structure as well as the revisions and additions to the upper rear radius rod towers.

gt103-6a-jpg.83397

@Mark Clapp thanks for sharing the photo.

Ryan

Neil

Supporter
lol, that is a great story.
Thanks. A bit more info- the driver of the disqualified Ferrari was David Hobbs. Needless to say, Hobbs was not happy as he had worked very hard to place a car that was not really suited to Can-Am racing as high as he did.

Back