COTA Track Rental

This was actually up a while ago and while it does included almost everything in the cost, it's still WAY over priced.

They need to get over themselves and at the same time they need to drop the 'Circuit Of The Americas/COTA' bull....

Let's just call it....the Austin Circuit or something, anything but 'COTA'. Argghhh, makes me cringe any time someone says that.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Nice same here with my p4
Ben, come on, when you own the track you can name it anything you want. How 'bout " A Whittle fun in Texas Circuit." just teazing!

I'm all for it but 'whittle' does have its own meaning and wouldn't work there!

No but seriously, as far as I can tell they've had bad ticket sales. My friend went to the F1, afterwards and ever since they have been desperately trying to get him to buy more tickets to other things and the next F1 there.

The whole 'seat license' bull? What a complete and utter mess and an awful sales strategy.

I'm sure the circuit will survive but in my opinion, the marketing/sales team has made it very difficult for them....

Look at what it costs to rent Laguna Seca (although note that it doesn't include ALL costs)....

Ben,

I would agree with your analysis of the "seat license". We reviewed the offer and declined when they first came out. At my age, I might not get my money's worth! That said, once you've purchased tickets I would expect that you will remain on their mailing list for future events. I went to F1 last year and have tickets for this year too. I went to the Grand AM races and have my tickets to the ALMS in September. The ticket prices for the "lesser" events are not bad so I don't think that is what keeps people from attending. More likely.....it's not NASCAR......

By desperate I don't just mean aggressive spamming, I mean they have been inviting him down to the track for tours, free tickets to certain events and also heavily discounting others.

We'll see, I guess the track needs to 'mature' a little but that name is never going to stop making me cringe....

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Desperate people do desperate things. We do need to keep this one around longer than the Texas World Speedway. Where was that anyway, College Station? Everybody knows Aggies can't drive.

By desperate I don't just mean aggressive spamming, I mean they have been inviting him down to the track for tours, free tickets to certain events and also heavily discounting others.

Indianapolis and Daytona have similar programs. I'm not sure I would call that desperate. Seems like a solid marketing plan to me.

Michael Fling

Supporter
FYI- I attend the Indy 500 every year. My renewal for tickets arrives before I get back home. My guess is that $2500 would be a bargain to drive there for a day. If I have invested the kind of $$$ they did at COTA, I would have a srtong marketing plan too. At TMS, they will have people renting track time after an SCCA event in the evenings after the race. You do what you have to do. I am grateful we have another track option. BTW- you can rent Hallett for the day for under $5000.

Brands Hatch in the UK, even the full GP circuit only generally costs around $380 for a track day, $2500 would be obscene....I'd laugh my ass off all the way over to Laguna Sega.

Back