Crude Traction Control with Holley Dominator and ABS sensors??

Hello everyone.

I already have a Dominator running a GEN3 Hemi stroker in my '70 Challenger. I loved the EFI software and hardware, so for my next project I want to use the same thing. (GT40 kit car with C5 corvette suspension). Don't shoot me but it will have a 5.3L LS engine. I wanted a modern engine and a 5.0 coyote is huge, expensive, and complicated to control. Due to the LS engine I am hoping some SL-C guys can help me out with tips!

I need help setting up traction control for this.
A brief summary of what I'm doing it trying to get speed data from front & rear tires, compare them, and if they are not equal then pull timing from the engine.
NOTE: If you have traction control but don't use a Holley product, I would still love the hear about your setup in case I cannot make this cheaper route work!

Some details:

- I will be running a Dominator ECU.
- The kit car uses C5 corvette wheel hubs which have factory ABS wheel speed sensors. It would be awesome if I could make these sensors talk to the Dominator. This would save A LOT of cash on the kits I see used often.

Current progress:
I have already put a lot of time and research into making this happen before coming to this forum for advice/help. Here's the information I have put together so far:
- The OEM toothed wheels are 48 tooth.
- I got in contact with an another engineer at a company that sells speedometer gauges that hook right up to a single one of these sensors to get wheel speed info. I asked him if he could share further information on how these sensors work and communicate with their gauges. The information he gave me was that the speedometer receives a sine wave signal from the inductive/magnetic pickup. The inductive pickup produces low voltage pulses between 1-4.5 volts depending on the size of the pick coil. When the speedometer is programmed for the correct pulse-per-mile driven, it'll display the correct MPH. A two wire inductive pickup is non-polarized so it won't matter what side is positive or negative.

- The OEM sensors are 2-wire. Some info on them below:
plug-info-jpg.113322

circuit info.jpg

- I have done what homework I can on the EFI side of things. I have already tried to setup a 2D Table in Holley V4. An image of what I have setup below:
V4 1.jpg

V4 2.jpg

V4 3.jpg

At this point I'm trying to see what everyone on here thinks about this setup. I haven't filled in the timing table yet as I want to make sure everything else is setup as it should first.

Questions:
- Do I have the EFI software setup right? My plan is that one sensor will be on a front wheel and be plugged into the correct input pin for Front Wheel Speed input and so on for the rear wheel.
- I'm not sure about how to configure each input. Should the "Type" be MPH? Custom Freq?
- Any thoughts on if I need to just ground the other pin on the sensor? Not entirely sure what to do with the second pin as the best wiring diagram I could find just called it a low reference.
- How can I tell the software to recognize the correct voltage per pulse? Some calibration surely needs to be done here.
- What setups do you use with a Holley ECU?

If someone knows more than me about these sensors please let me know what I'm missing. If this setup is hopeless to use in this manner please explain why. If it is hopeless, I would also like recommendations on what setup would work well with a low budget in mind with my ECU. I don't NEED TC. I just think it would be awesome to have. So not worth spending big bucks on.

These ECU's are pretty powerful so I think I can make them work with the right sensors... just looking to see what others have done.

I found these:
https://www.motionraceworks.com/prod...r-tooth-sensor
For $50 and I'm wondering if this could read the toothed wheel instead and would be easier to hookup.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Nick

Attachments

• plug info.jpg
    plug info.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1,718
  • circuit info.jpg
    circuit info.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 246

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I was originally planning on using a Holly Dominator for my LS-based SL-C build. To my recollection Holley white labels a traction control module from a third-party whose solution monitors driveshaft speed/acceleration vs. engine RPM without using any wheel sensors. That approach didn't appeal to me so I went with MoTeC.

I was originally planning on using a Holly Dominator for my LS-based SL-C build. To my recollection Holley white labels a traction control module from a third-party whose solution monitors driveshaft speed/acceleration vs. engine RPM without using any wheel sensors. That approach didn't appeal to me so I went with MoTeC.
Hey Scott thanks for the reply... MoTeC stuff is sweet! I have heard of what you are talking about as well and felt the same way. I will keep reading and testing different ideas out.

Back