Current Original GT40 Value?

What do folks think of Haggerty's estimate of the current values of GT40s?

Prototype$7.7 million
Mk I$6.4 million
Mk II$8.4 million
Mk III$5.1 million
Mk IV$6.8 million

These values are for cars in "Excellent" (not "Concours") condition as of April 2023.

Thanks to Davidmgbv8 for the pointer to the article in another thread.

Considering the J-10 Mk IV only reached $1.3M at auction 3 months ago and did not sell, I would say they are "blowing smoke". Sure, if the car was one used by Steve McQueen in the filming of Lemans, maybe someone with more money than sense would chase it to $10M in a bidding war. I read the article. It quotes all sorts of experts, but I find them trying to justify their existence with that article. Like they just discovered the price of GT40s which we on this forum have lived for 25 years.

Considering the J-10 Mk IV only reached $1.3M at auction 3 months ago and did not sell, I would say they are "blowing smoke". Sure, if the car was one used by Steve McQueen in the filming of Lemans, maybe someone with more money than sense would chase it to $10M in a bidding war. I read the article. It quotes all sorts of experts, but I find them trying to justify their existence with that article. Like they just discovered the price of GT40s which we on this forum have lived for 25 years.

J-10 is an odd car.
Unfortunately, Agapiou's Mk IV didn't find much success in Can-Am, as it had to run against the virtually unbeatable McLarens. In fact, it only finished one race, a Can-Am round at Fuji Speedway in Japan, where Cannon claimed a respectable 2nd place. After a crash in 1970, some of the car was scrapped, but the surviving part of the tub was rebuilt in the late Eighties. In the Nineties, J10 was given Le Mans bodywork, and a full restoration of the car was completed in 2017.

Whenever GT40 values come up it reminds me of a club meeting we had at Leyland in Lancashire back in the 1980`s. At the time a real mk1 road car was advertised for sale in the motoring press. It was a nice looking blue car and was owned by a doctor I think. Back then many of us wanted to build cars that looked as accurate as possible so having a real car as a reference tool seemed like a good idea to me. I figured that if 10 of us chipped in 4000.00 pounds each we could buy it. I think at the time I was probably one of the least well off members so it would have been a stretch financially but worth it to me. The guys I mentioned it to thought I was mad and it was a stupid idea. What would it be worth now? We would have had to agree on where it was kept but we would have come to some arrangement I`m sure.

#

Back