Detonation etc 4 flatchat& others-

Flatchat raised the detonation possibility on Howards oil pressure thread and asked for a " hopefully" clear description of this. As it now seems that howards problems have been due to an out of balance flywheel I will attack this detonation subject. Pre-ignition will also have to be addressed as many seem to have trouble which condition they are dealing with.

Detonation: This is an uncontrolled burn of the fuel .A smooth even burn thru the compressed mixture does not occur. The spark plug ignites the mixture and very shortly after a second or even third etc self ignition takes place in other areas within the combustion chamber and cylinder.When the flame fronts of these seperate ignitions collide the pressure rise in the cylinder is extremely rapid. As the piston is still approaching TDC you should be able to envisage that it is not going to like being told to go back down the cylinder while it has a crankshaft and conrod telling it that it has to go up approx another 1/4" before coming back down!! Every area that is exposed and connected while this takes place can suffer damage. Valves can become tuliped and will have the lash reduced as a result, Spark plug insulaters may crack,Cylinder Head studs may be stretched enough to allow the head gasket to move, Pistons may have the crown fail or ring lands break. If the explosion occurs to one side of the cyl it may rock the piston in the cyl enough to the point where the piston skirt will crack and or the cyl wall will fail. As you can now imagine these pressures are now transfered thru the wristpin ,rod, brgs,crank,brgs, and caps into the block. If the condition is allowed to continue component failure is rapid and Terminal.

Pre-Ignition: This occur's when any exposed part in the combustion chamber/cyl becomes incandesant(red hot) and ignites the fuel mixture at a very early point in the compression stroke. This could be an exposed plug thread, a sharp edge of the combustion chamber or valve pocket/piston dome,a piece of exposed head gasket or a buildup of carbon. If the engine has been run in a state of undetected detonation previously there may be damage to the valves or pistons which will now create a sharp edge to cause this.As this occurs relatively early in the compression cycle the explosion is not as violent as the Detonation ,but the heat that is generated does the damage.

As pre-ignition quite often follows detonation it can become difficult to tell which you have. In Detonation any broken pistons will be quite jagged at the fracture point. Pre-ignition damage will usually have a fused or melted appearance in the failed area.

Causes; I know I wont remember them all but here are a few with a couple of head scratchers thrown in. Over advanced ign timing both total and to fast a curve,Incorrect Fuel mixture and distribution,Poor quality fuel,Excessive oil clearances, Oil from valve guides, High or low water temp ,and poor coolant flow along with oil temp,Bad driving habits ie; lugging the motor,running in the revlimiter zone. Crossfire and phasing issues with ignition.
Now here are a couple of oddballs that drove me nut,s for a while. Pleasure boat ,SBC Electronic Ign With Knock Sensor. Both heads cracked along above spark plugs on outside. Owner reckoned Frost damage and cringed at Mercruiser replacement price, I suggest and procure Dart equivalent @ 1/3 price. Fit to motor & run in shop. Owner fits to boat, Icheck ign timing(total& Initial) Owner rings on Saturday ,V happy all well. 2 pm Sunday rings, boat runs terrible fellow boatee reset ign timeing which he said was 15deg retarded. Tells me Im a D****!! Boat in driveway with angry owner monday morning. Check Ign Timing- now 45 deg total!! Owner suggests my timeing light stuffed leaves in huff. Pull engine down ,Detonation City!! Problem -never was any frost damage, Cause-Faulty Knock Sensor that thought it had a part time job along with Fuel that had Gone OFF.
The other one concerns MSD and two crossed wires, get a copy of Circle Track june 2005 and read the article.(not MSD's problem but the human factor coming into play)
Well Flatchat ,thats it in a BIG nutshell. Any wiser or totally confused??
Cheers Jack.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hey Jack I'm on the edge of my seat.Please tell us if the boat owner ate humble pie or not. It's like me trying to convince a customer there were 2 faults in his amp but with similar symptoms. Great explanation keep them coming.Actually the microphone used for the knock sensor is generally a piezo
type. they are used to trigger electronic drums and I find their output voltage falls over time.To test I hook the mic to an oscilloscope and beat the hell out of it then compare the output voltage to a new one.

Ross

Hi Ross, Im sure you know that you know that in business that the customer is always right(yeh right). My parting comment to him was that if he ever felt the need to change his name that Richard Cranium should be at the top of the list! Now on a brighter note,and reading between the lines are you thinking of bringing your car over for the SFOS to keep Russ honest? Have a cold one for me, everything is cold down here at the moment. Cheers Jack.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Jack I find that line ' the customer is always right ' less palletable the older I get. I'd love to come over for the Festival of speed but Russ is a wee way off
finishing his car isn't he? I would have to try and find sponsorship for car shipping or a big discount.Anyway will have to do it before I hang up the helmet. 2 GT40s at Teretonga great Idea. You would know Paul Rosel most likely he's high up in the SSCC and I drove his Datsun at Teretonga a couple of years ago, he's the drummer from the "high & Dry" band and I'll be in Invercargill for the band reunion in September. See if you can get a ticket and come down.
I'm so far off topic I'd better go now talk to you again soon.

Ross

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ross,

Continuing off topic but since it's Jack's thread and he was the initial deviant, it must be OK! Jack is stirring again!

Now that he's let the cat out of the bag it is true that I am trying to have the car done for the SFOS, may not be achievable but that's now the target. Original plan was for 6 months later. Jack works for an overseas (opposition) team for SFOS otherwise I'd love to have him in my camp. He may be for the Endurance Series later that year though if I feel the car is well enough proven. Because of Jacks loyalties to his team I'm not sure whether to heed his advice or do the opposite!! LOL

Start looking at sponsorship deals to get over here (try Abbey Sound I hear they're fairly sympathetic!), you should be able to blow me off easily at this stage and as you say two 40's out there would be great. You should also look at the Endurance Series a good GT40 should be in with a chance. Recent winners are V8 Supercars and GT3's.

Regards

Back