difference in tube and monocoque chassis?

As everybody knows there is a CAV on ebay with a tube chassis. I might be able to swing the price and was wondering if there is a advantage/disadvantage to the tube chassis? Thanks, Charles

CAV's product is fantastic regardless if tube or mono.
For the most part, the only real difference is authenticity.
Mono is closer to original than tube is. Tube frame might
be slightly stronger (haven't seen numbers either way), and
is easier to repair in te event of catastrophic chassis
failure (likelihood of this is pretty small, and at that
point, a whole chassis replacement might be in order).

Of course, this is all my opinion, others with more
useful insight may feel differently.

If you can swing it, go for it.

This car has been listed before, and a couple of times he
claimed it was a monocoque with BRM wheels. He has
since been corrected, and the previous listing he made
the corrections without any qualms, so I expect he's
pretty honest about it.

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
I like the idea of being able to straighten a bent chassis verses fixing a dammaged Mono. Just about any sprint car chassis shop can fit a spaceframe car. The space frame cars also lend themselfs towards modification better. IE welding on different suspension pickup points or welding in mounting points for a rollcage etc. Both cars types perform very well when set up correctly. The mono might be a little lighter,100-200lbs, but I'm not sure about that.

I am lucky to own both space frame and monoque CAVs. the biggest difference is the monoque offers more head room.The mono allows the seat to be mounted lower in the chassis.The space frame has agreat look with all the riveting on the aluminum panals. If you're not over 5'10", the space frame is a great deal.

Ron Earp

Admin
One interesting note is that I understand that the CAV space frames are GTD chassis with the same pickups etc. Frank or someone can you confirm this? It definitely looks to be the case.

If so, it might be nice if you intend to race as you could capitalize on the extensive GTD development that has gone on in the UK and is available through their clubs. They currently know far more about these cars than we in the US do.

Ron

Don't forget, mine is also for sale and it has the stacker injection system instead of some ugly carb stuck on top.

That last three kits Roaring Forties has delivered was the tall boy frame. There is way more room in this version than the original. I was really amazed at the amount of head room
which is needed if you wear a helmet in racing events. Another aspect of the RF is the adjustable foot pedals. They can be placed and afixed for the taller guys easily.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS... Another shamless commercial for RF.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back