Doing a little math (GT40 quickness)

Not too many every day driver engines from Europe came close to those built in the US. I can list numerous examples. Pure race engines, agreed. Europe had some good ones for specific applications, but for mass production, come on. There really is nothing that has matched American muscle en mass and certainly now with the GM and Ford engines of today that cannot be argued unless you want to talk exotic ultra high dollar motors.

A statement like this demands some serious eveidence to back it up Darrin.

Not too many every day driver engines from Europe came close to those built in the US. I can list numerous examples. Pure race engines, agreed. Europe had some good ones for specific applications, but for mass production, come on. There really is nothing that has matched American muscle en mass and certainly now with the GM and Ford engines of today that cannot be argued unless you want to talk exotic ultra high dollar motors.

define racecar !

But when you do this, remind yourself, in Europe racetracks have curves, ascending and descending track sections ...and the ONLY straight part might be the starting grid .....oooohhh, not to forget of course they are longer then a 1/4 mile

:thumbsup: Hang loose :) :thumbsup:

Please do, along with the measurement for which the American engine is superior.

My gosh you like to argue don't you? So many of your posts are that way and seem to be just for the sake of argument. This thread was about why the GT40 didn't seem to be as quick as I would expect and now it's went off into this. Oh well. Here is one for you and my current favorite the Coyote/Aluminator. How does $7000 or so for an engine that produces well over 400 hp (and I can show you the dyno results where that is closer to a RWHP than at the crank), can rev well past 7000RPM and comes with a nice factory warranty. Tell me what European engine you can get for 7K that can do that.

On second thought don't. Start your own thread if you want to debate it.

A statement like this demands some serious eveidence to back it up Darrin.

Like I just posted about the Coyote. Name me a European engine that can be had for 7K US dollars that comes close to it's 400+ horsepower with a warranty and availability. Same with the new Chevy engines. They are cheap, powerful, and readily available. Europe makes some great engines for sure, but cheap they are not.

Last edited:
define racecar !

But when you do this, remind yourself, in Europe racetracks have curves, ascending and descending track sections ...and the ONLY straight part might be the starting grid .....oooohhh, not to forget of course they are longer then a 1/4 mile

:thumbsup: Hang loose :) :thumbsup:

Actually, plenty of racetracks have curves here in the US too. Not every race is NASCAR, and actually, even NASCAR runs some road courses. Here's a good article: America's Best Road Courses - Feature - Car and Driver

But anyway, I didn't mean to go down this path. Was just curious why the GT40 didn't seem to do better in the quickness area. That's pretty much been answered in a round about way now.

But darrin, you said, "Not too many every day driver engines from Europe came close to those built in the US".

There are many 'everyday' euro cars with engine equivalent or better". Now you talk about after-market engines. Different things and differennt markets my friend. I would agree, that tio refer purely to buying engines in their own right, the US is hard to beat for bang for buck. Just be clearer on what you are saying.

But darrin, you said, "Not too many every day driver engines from Europe came close to those built in the US".

There are many 'everyday' euro cars with engine equivalent or better". Now you talk about after-market engines.

Actually Mark, these aren't after market.

Every Mustang 5.0 that rolls off the line has a Coyote in it. It just so happens that you can also buy them direct from Ford (or opt for the stronger Aluminator version of them...at about $1000 more). I believe Chevy does the same thing with the engines they put in their Camaro ZL1.

Now, if you want to talk after market, we have some great engines there too, but I was referring to mass produced daily drivers that are reasonable in cost. Yes, there are some ultra high dollar Porsche engines and all that a rare few will ever drive, but...well.

Actually Mark, these aren't after market.

Every Mustang 5.0 that rolls off the line has a Coyote in it. It just so happens that you can also buy them direct from Ford (or opt for the stronger Aluminator version of them...at about $1000 more). I believe Chevy does the same thing with the engines they put in their Camaro ZL1.

Now, if you want to talk after market, we have some great engines there too, but I was referring to mass produced daily drivers that are reasonable in cost. Yes, there are some ultra high dollar Porsche engines and all that a rare few will ever drive, but...well.

Installing a Coyote engine on a GT40 is not a easy job and a very expensive. You have gearbox, induction, computer, mounts, brackets and exhaust problem. You would also need to modify the chassis to fit it. It is a lot cheaper and higher hp to install a small block stroker. It would look correct since it would have the same shape, sound of the original GT and the correct ZF gearbox. A 40X ci a small block could easy top over 500HP and much simple and cheaper solution.

Installing a Coyote engine on a GT40 is not a easy job and a very expensive. You have gearbox, induction, computer, mounts, brackets and exhaust problem. You would also need to modify the chassis to fit it. It is a lot cheaper and higher hp to install a small block stroker. It would look correct since it would have the same shape, sound of the original GT and the correct ZF gearbox. A 40X ci a small block could easy top over 500HP and much simple and cheaper solution.

Actually, this has already been done and the change to the chassis isn't all that much. Both GTForte and Tornado offer it that i know (would imagine others too but I am not certain of them) of and they both have solutions that aren't much more expensive for the Coyote than a normal 302 (Tornado has a great looking set of headers for it for example) as far as mating it to a gearbox, etc.

Yes, you could build a 351 or stroked 302 to make the same HP that the Coyote does of course, but getting it to rev like one, make emissions (should you need to), and last like one would be expensive for sure.

Anyway, again, that wasn't the reason for the thread so I'll leave it at that.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Darrrrrrin,
I've got a mini cooper engine , bored out to 1430cc, in its original chassis, it will embarass your coyote mustang to 70mph..

Darrrrrrin,
I've got a mini cooper engine , bored out to 1430cc, in its original chassis, it will embarass your coyote mustang to 70mph..

Andrewwwwww, this isn't the original topic and I am talking a stock engine. I can show you many modifications to that same Coyote that would embarrass your little Mini Cooper engine ( and I highly doubt it will produce over 400 anyway...you people and your Mini Coopers...have to deal with you folks in my Z all the time).

Apologies to the moderators as this is WAY off topic, but to show Andrew the light:

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Mini-Cooper-0-60-mph-Times.html
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-mustang-gt-50-convertible-first-drive-review

That's stock to stock. If you want to talk modified then the 5.0 can be had producing a whole lot more power and much quicker times.

Again though, this is way off on a tangent. It was about the GT40 and why it was seemingly not as quick as most modern super cars. I'd really not rather go down the "my car is faster than yours" route and keep things on topic...please.

Last edited:
People are just having fun because this has become entertaining. :)
I knew a guy with a beetle that was pretty awesome off the lights - bog standard it fair leapt of the the lights if you dumped it at full throttle. It must have been pretty quick to something like 50kph (complete guess), although an hour later it would still be doing 50 kph. Flywheel was the key on that car I think... And perhaps the high profile, low pressure, large diameter tyres. Basic suspension... Oh and the fact it weighed an ounce... :)

Maybe that's what the GT40 needs ;) <----- thread relevance!

Or perhaps the GT40 was a car designed with a whole (bigger) picture in mind, not some marketing tool for the masses seemingly based on a US speed limit and a penchant for beating grannies in VWs... ;p

If you want to rip out the rear, stick a weight jacked live axle in it (yeah probably impossible but bear with me here you literal types ;p), insert drag friendly shocks/springs etc then you could rip out a "quick" time... maybe...
I don't think any perceived issue with quickness is anything to do with engine choice - as people have been trying to point out in their various ways.
A decent Windsor is perfect in these things.

As for engine comparisons, haven't we learned yet? Everything is bigger and better over there, keeps them happy if we let them believe it. ;p

Jokes people!!!!!! Keep your sense of humour... Or find one... ;p

Btw is everybody sure they are talking about the same Mini Coopers?
I am in the "The new Mini is not a Mini" camp I'm afraid. Decent car, but not a Mini - by any definition.

Over that 600-700 meters standing start I had a higher top speed than all the Mustangs including Supersnakes, Gallardo (including race car), Murcilargo, Ferrari 458, Carrera GT, Porsche GT2 (including race car) and all the other Porsches, Viper (including race car), and all the others that I now for the moment forget. My car was probably slower than a lot of them to 60mph, I have no real idea, but at the end the car was going faster and that is where things matter, at least to me, light to light means nothing to many of us.
The above is, I believe, evidence that the GT40 can be a very fast car, even if a VW might beat it to 50kph on a time slip... ;p
A frog might beat a cheetah to 5kph, I'd still rather ride the cheetah. ;)

Tim.

Last edited:
People are just having fun because this has become entertaining. :)
I knew a guy with a beetle that was pretty awesome off the lights - bog standard it fair leapt of the the lights if you dumped it at full throttle. It must have been pretty quick to something like 50kph (complete guess), although an hour later it would still be doing 50 kph. Flywheel was the key on that car I think... And perhaps the high profile, low pressure, large diameter tyres. Basic suspension... Oh and the fact it weighed an ounce... :)

Maybe that's what the gt40 needs ;)

Or perhaps the GT40 was a car designed with a whole (bigger) picture in mind, not some marketing tool for the masses seemingly based on a US speed limit and a penchant for beating grannies in VWs... ;p

If you want to rip out the rear, stick a weight jacked live axle in it (yeah probably impossible but bear with me here you literal types ;p), insert drag friendly shocks/springs etc then you could rip out a "quick" time... maybe...
I don't think any perceived issue with quickness is anything to do with engine choice - as people have been trying to point out in their various ways.
A decent Windsor is perfect in these things.

As for engine comparisons, haven't we learned yet? Everything is bigger and better over there, keeps them happy if we let them believe it. ;p

Jokes people!!!!!! Keep your sense of humour... Or find one... ;p

Btw is everybody sure they are talking about the same mini coopers?
Tim.

LOL!

Good job.

Actually, plenty of racetracks have curves here in the US too. Not every race is NASCAR, and actually, even NASCAR runs some road courses. Here's a good article: America's Best Road Courses - Feature - Car and Driver

But anyway, I didn't mean to go down this path. Was just curious why the GT40 didn't seem to do better in the quickness area. That's pretty much been answered in a round about way now.

He i simply made a joke :thumbsup:

Back