Door Number Lights

So is that it:- .... Lucas dome type on MkI and the ranchero teardrop on MkII?

Sounds right if aiming for originality!

SteveB

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
The real questions should be :

What is their function ?

Unless it is you intention to go racing other cars in the middle of the night with roundels and numbers, these lights are redundant.

So, why fit them in the first instance ?

In the UK, the SVA may also have something to say about you fitting them on a road car.

However, fifty quid worth of lights may seem worth the self delusion.

Last edited:
Self delusion is probably the thing here, when I get past the SVA making the car authentic in as many ways as can be afforded gets closer to the dream that the GT40 was to me in the 60,s

Live the dream while you still can!

SteveB

Like Steve said, I think going for originality is the main goal but what the hell - flick the switch and make a few kids happy (including myself). ;)

Chris

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Well Chris,
Fair comment.

If a few surplus fairy lights will convince you and some kids that you are driving an original then you should drill those big holes in your nice doors for them.

In the meantime, I will check on Charlie Farley's green and red domes -and perhaps I could also pretend that I am driving a fire tender. :rolleyes:

Jimmy
Your scarstic tone is somewhat bothersome to those of us who want to try and replcate an original car as close as we can. We are not trying to pass of our cars as originals. Not at all. Why is that such a sore spot with you?

Bil D
Los Angeles, CA

Part number for Mk.II for lights

For those with access to NOS Ford parts from the states I have Found the part number for the Ranchero lights (originally used as licence plate lights)

D1AZ-13564-A

There seem to be 2 batches made, the first has the rectangular FoMoCo stamp on the top and 66AFD press above it, the second had the Ford oval and 71AFD. I tracked mione down via Falcon Spares in sunny CA!

These are the parts for the Mk.II parts, sorry I can't help with the Mk.I units. Hope this helps.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,
I have always thought of you as a sound bloke so let's get real here.
Here is my personal view, if it offends please remember it is my own opinion and not an insult.

My point is that these lights are consumables and the least thing to consider if one wishes to replicate a "race car".

Now comes my question :
What are you discussing, replication of the GT as a racing machine or building some expensive full size model ?

If some of you want to externally model some picture in a book and you truly believe your car is a racer, then cool.
But, don't expect me to believe it is because it has forty bucks worth of light fittings stuck on the doors. (somebody paid £135 for a pair!)

I have a set of these lights but have not considered using them yet as my own personal priority is to bend the needle on the 200 mph speedo first.:)

If a little sarcasm offends some of you then I apologise with one reservation, you need to lighten up.

Incidentally, apart from my inherited sarcasm, I personally think I made some contribution in finding these things for "some of you" but if you want me to stay out of this kind of stuff in future, I will.

Last edited:
Back