Dreaded P0606 Code

I haven't seen this one discussed so I just experienced a PO606 error code. IAW the internet it could be all kinds of stuff. Before I dig in, has anyone had this code and what did you do?

Thanks

Don’t let it be true. I only have 200 miles. Took forever to get a good tune. Seems like this code is a catch all for non specific failures, so I’m hoping it’s some odd ball thing......maybe a fluke....if only. I used my OBD reader to collaborate any odd readings or system failure, specically the throttle system. I have read that this table can at time throw the code.

My investigation continues in the AM.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Was it a hard code that set off the fault light (and is still there) or a soft code that went away after further starts?

Don’t let it be true. I only have 200 miles. Took forever to get a good tune. Seems like this code is a catch all for non specific failures, so I’m hoping it’s some odd ball thing......maybe a fluke....if only. I used my OBD reader to collaborate any odd readings or system failure, specically the throttle system. I have read that this table can at time throw the code.

My investigation continues in the AM.

DBW issues are another code I believe ... if your tuner adjusted the throttle table there's a chance the PCM can randomly brick itself when driving

If it's an internal fault in the PCM it's easy to change - upload tune to laptop, remove old PCM, put in new PCM (make sure it's the same model, like E67 from GMPP's crate engine package), upload old tune. Done. Of course if your tuner messed with the DBW table then you could just be transferring issues over (that's the only table I'm aware of that changes to can brick the PCM)

My tuner is aware and will call me Monday. I erased the code today for the hell of it and ran the car for about 40 minutes testing the fan. I did not manipulate the throttle so didn’t get into any throttle tables. I will do that after installing the second cooling fan and talking to my tuner. Thanks for the feedback.

FWIW, if you have hp tuners your throttle area A map (engine->air flow -> electronic throttle -> Map A) should look liek the below - all the gmpp tunes i've seen are always the same .... note the warning at the bottom of the screen - i.e., if you adjust this you can brick the PCM

The area rate limit opening rate can be changed w/o any issues though

Attachments

• gmpp_throttle.JPG
    gmpp_throttle.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 400
Alex

This is great. The first or even second tuner I had did not keep the stock tune. Can I then presume that the LS3 480 or the 525 all use this table?

Thanks

Alex

This is great. The first or even second tuner I had did not keep the stock tune. Can I then presume that the LS3 480 or the 525 all use this table?

Thanks

Yes, that's the stock throttle map table. If you want you can send me your tune - I don't have the stock tune either but I remember enough to know what tables have been changed

File emailed. Not 100% certain it’s the current file, rather the one just prior to my final street tune. Any data you can glean from that file will be helpful. Thanks

For those following, I deleted the code and drove the hood today in case I broke. Got car up to temp (new fans seem to be working) turned the AC got 40 (don’t tell my local constable, ha, and 3500 RPM. Fingers crossed but not code. I will try a longer drive next and see if I can recreate the original conditions.

Finally got the car back from Summit so I got to drive it. Went ahead and bought an HP tuner so I can download and record data. No codes and car is running , but I now notice the VSS signal has stopped.

1. Either the senor has failed
2 or the ECU is in fact broken, but not sure why the car still runs

So my plan is to buy a new ls3/480 ECU. Install it and record/copy all GM stock files and compare to the tune I now have.

Here is my question of the day: I'm not sure if the VSS sensor was generating the needed square sine curve the ECU is looking for, but I have a previous data file on HP that shows a good speed signal which matches GPS. Based on this data can I then assume the VSS signal was indeed the square sine curve?

Alex
I compared the table you sent above #7 to the actual table in my tune and they are not the same. So once I get a new ECU I will take a look at the GM tables. Now I am suspicious that one of the tuners did make some changes. IAW the HP tuner blog, folks are changing this table all the time with no issues...….now am I that unlucky.

Roger Reid

Supporter
Dan. My other car (GTM) has an E38 crate engine type ECU. Somehow the knock sensor tables are zeroed out on that ECU. Could you snapshot your knock sensor table and share it? Thanks

Back