Drive by wire for kit cars

I have been looking at traction control possibilities and I am going to have a intake manifold designed fro a Ford 460 engine but I would like to use traction control. I believe I would have ato use an actuator drive throttle controlled by the Motec ECU. Does anyone have any more info about how this works and what actuators (if it is this) are used as I need to supply one to my designed so it can be incorporated into the deisgn.

Hi John

Not sure what Motec ECU you're thinking of using? (M48/M880) but i'm fairly sure the most common way of limiting power is to cut timing/spark/fuel and combinations thereof. I've not seen a system to date that actually backs off the throttle position, so I suspect your manifold will need nothing special to accommodate traction control.

Motec systems usually use individual wheel speed sensors to determine wheel-spin, so some consideration needs to be mad for them. With a 460, TC will likely be very useful - especially if you want to drive in the wet! - as it often is over here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So this means I can use a standard wire accelerator with the Motec system then and not need any wired electronics on the throttle body?

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
John, I'm fairly sure that is much the same for Motec as for Autronic - traction control on these just plays with timing/spark/fuel, and allows "hard" or "soft" settings for each, much the same way that the rev limiter works, but the input is from wheel speed sensors instead of engine speed.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi John

All you should need is a mechanical linkage that opens the valve (butterfly) within the throttle body when you press the Throttle pedal to control the air into the motor and hence power output. There will also need to be a potentiometer, generally mounted on end of throttle shaft, that indicates to the ECU the actual throttle position. The ECU uses this signal (+ some others - temp etc) to determine how much fuel to inject. It also uses the 'rate of change' of this signal to give acceleration enrichment too.

Hope this helps...

Back