Dry Sump on LS7

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Hey all,

My LS7 needs a tank for a dry sump arrangement. How many gallon tank should I consider? I thought 2.5 should be good. Is the location of the tank important to the stock pump? Any cooling considerations for a stock style motor.

LS7 in RCR P4, considering putting the tank rear of RR Tire.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Is this an OEM dry sump (per se), or aftermarket? Based on recommendations from Dailey, I went with 11 quarts of oil in a 14 quart tank for an aftermarket set-up on an LS2

Hey all,

My LS7 needs a tank for a dry sump arrangement. How many gallon tank should I consider? I thought 2.5 should be good. Is the location of the tank important to the stock pump? Any cooling considerations for a stock style motor.

LS7 in RCR P4, considering putting the tank rear of RR Tire.

Thanks Guys!

If it were me I'd try to put the resevoir near the bulkhead on the passenger side if at all possible. Nice thing about a drysump is you can use as much oil as you want to carry. Personally, if it isn't a track car I'd stay somewhere around +/- 10 qts. More oil= better cooling.

Marc,

How far you want to go depends somewhat on what your intended use of your car will be. Sticky slicks and track use may need more modifications similar to what I did to my LS7, such as: LS9 internal pump, LS9 high flow oil filter, pan baffle (minimum) or new pan (ARE pan is nice), 2-stage scavange, oil cooler. I had originally started with the pan baffle but then changed over to the ARE pan, just a "confidence issue" for me. The 2.5 or 3 gal tanks are also needed to help prevent air suction in the tank during extreme cornering forces. You can order ARE "packages", including Aviad parts, directly from Gary Armstrong.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks all, Doc, I will look into the upgrades, as for where I can put the tank, I have to go out back. I filled the side pods behind the tanks with fuel pumps and filters and I still have to put some water tank up there to support the steam lines and system fill. I talked to Fran and he said out back is okay but need to go with a three gal size.

Back