Durable 18 Smooth Bed Liner

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Looking for bed liner guidance for the bottom of an RCR40. Project Farms has a good review of Durabak 18. My understanding is that these products once opened, must be used with a few days. The spec sheet says 75 square feet per gallon so a quart would not be enough and a gallon is probably too much. Since I am plan to use the Smooth Durabak, I am thinking to apply it to the engine bay as well which would likely use up a gallon without a lot of waste. Your thoughts and experience please.

Personally, I don't use truck bed liner for underside painting because of experience with it being a little too hard. It has the tendency to chip and water can enter under it, and even with the epoxy primer, I've seen it strip away in sheets once water ingress occurs.

Others experiences may vary, as I am talking specifically about UPOL Raptor truck bed liner, but as UPOL produce a specific product for the underside of vehicles that is far easier to apply with the variable tip application gun, I recommend you look into UPOL Gravitex. It has the toughness of a bed liner, but with more plasticity. Storage is far easier too as you buy it in bottles that you slip the feed of the application gun into. I've had some (unopened) on the shelf of my garage for 6-12 months+ at a time with no application issues. Once dry, you can also paint over it if desired

Last edited:

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Personally, I don't use truck bed liner for underside painting because of experience with it being a little too hard. It has the tendency to chip and water can enter under it, and even with the epoxy primer, I've seen it strip away in sheets once water ingress occurs.

Others experiences may vary, as I am talking specifically about UPOL Raptor truck bed liner, but as UPOL produce a specific product for the underside of vehicles that is far easier to apply with the variable tip application gun, I recommend you look into UPOL Gravitex. It has the toughness of a bed liner, but with more plasticity. Storage is far easier too as you buy it in bottles that you slip the feed of the application gun into. I've had some (unopened) on the shelf of my garage for 6-12 months+ at a time with no application issues. Once dry, you can also paint over it if desired
Ryan, Thx for the guidance. Did you use a gun like this? Which primer did you use?

1715264036430.jpeg

Back