Earliest GT40 replicas?

They did more then just the VW Chasis stuff, I remember I have seen a space frame...

Cheers
(C)arlos

Calling FiberFab a GT40 with a VW engine and parts is stretching it. GT40 replica or a Cobra should be faithful to size, engine, finish, tub construction, gearbox etc.

Sbarro would be the oldest since he built a few GT40 in 1968. He later built GT40 in 1982.

Safir Engineering LTD (Peter Thorp) GT-40 V were built in 1980. In 1994 at Road America (GT40 Reunion at RA) Thorp and Peter Portante (ERA) talked regarding how difficult was selling GT40 replicas. No much interest. Thorp had a few GT-40V at the reunion with no takers at that time. He later sold Safir to a US interest.

The longest production GT40 replica would be ERA.

The Fiberfab Valkyrie was a tube frame using a Corvair trans and suspension bits. If I recall correctly, it was around 1967.

Some info I found regarding FiberFab:

"Inspired by the GT40 race car, the Valkyrie was introduced by a U.S. company, FiberFab, in 1967.

Modeled after the GT40, the Valkyrie also sported a mid-engine V8, and came equipped with a 427 cubic inch Chevrolet engine, a ZF transaxle, and 4 wheel
Hearst-Amheart disk brakes, and a parachute. An ad at the time boasted it would be useful in braking at speeds in excess of 140 mph.

However, most later Valkyries were owner built with small block chevys and corvair transaxles. Additionally, later Valkyries were often built more modestly with VW running gear.

The car was marketed as a sports car with a price of around $10,000. The lower priced kit version was named the Avenger.

In the 1970's, when FiberFab changed ownership, the Valkyrie was discountinued. In 2004, a new company began reproducing the Valkyrie again under the FiberFab name .

Attachments

• 1966_AD.jpg
    1966_AD.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 68fiberfabad.jpg
    68fiberfabad.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 383
  • 67fiberfabad2.jpg
    67fiberfabad2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 393
  • valkyriead1.jpg
    valkyriead1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 455
  • valkyriead2.jpg
    valkyriead2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 446
On your website it states "Tornado Sports Cars were formed in 1984 and production of our GT40 replica, the TSC GT40, began in 1989"

Cobra Restorers built an ERA GT way before 1989 and ERA delivered a turn key car before 1989.

I remember seeing the ERA car at Cobra Restorers in mid 1988 and Chuck was almost finished with its construction then.

Wayne

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
ERA displayed a GT40 replica in 1985 at SAAC in Dearborn. They were still doing development on the car but did have one on display.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Because i´m looking for at GT40. It has to be a car built before 1980 because of the tax regulations here in Denmark. I need it to go under veteran status.

I found one i France that states it is a GTD from 1972 - I do not know much about all the companies who builds replicas.

But a GTD from 1972 were these in production at that time and are they good replicas?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Earliest "production" GT40 replica was by KVA and it was a Mk3 and that was not until after 1980...GTD was not in production in 1972

Earliest "production" GT40 replica was by KVA and it was a Mk3 and that was not until after 1980...GTD was not in production in 1972

Dear Fran,

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible to aquire a book where all the different builders and their names are listed with chassis numbers and all. Gotta say that this market seems like a jungle with all the different manufactores!

I do not want to buy the wrong car if you know what I mean.

I don't know of any books that would cover all of them. I think this is most of the makes that have made one or more (I may have missed one or more!)

Africa 40
Bailey Edwards Cars
CAV (Auto Futura)
Classic Car Developments (David Brown)
Dax
DRB Sportscars
ERA
Fibrefab
Gelscoe Motorsport
GOX Teknic
GT Forte
GT40 Developments
GTD (GT Developments)
Hi-Tech Welding
Holman Moody
KCC
KVA
MDA
RCR (Race Car Replicas)
RML
Roaring Forties
Southern GT
Superformance (High Tech Auto)
Tornado Sports Cars

Of course that ignores all the one-off homebuilds.

Glenn M

Supporter
Hi guys,

Because i´m looking for at GT40. It has to be a car built before 1980 because of the tax regulations here in Denmark. I need it to go under veteran status.

I found one i France that states it is a GTD from 1972 - I do not know much about all the companies who builds replicas.

But a GTD from 1972 were these in production at that time and are they good replicas?

Per,

I suspect that what you have found is a GTD registered using the logbook from another car. A process in the grey area of legality then, is definitely illegal now, and increasingly harder to get away with now that log books, mot's etc are all on computer.

Glenn

Per,

I sold my GTD to a guy in France in June. It was registered in the uk as a 1972 car, but was a 1987 chassis. If it's the same car I can give you plenty of history of the car.

Pm me the details of the car you have found for sale and I'll let you know if it's my old car.

Jas

Back