Engine Builders for RCR GT40 Chassis

Louis

Supporter
Hi All,

With Craft Performance no longer available and Prestige Motorsports engines requiring the CVF pulleys to fit in the RCR chassis and Roush not responding to phone calls. What engine builders are still out there?

Appreciate it!
Louis

I'll tell you how I found my local builder.

I visited a couple of places that do add ons and dyno tuning to newer cars, knowing they wouldn't do it themselves. They were happy to chat with me a few minutes and recommend an older shop that does do work on older, race and hot rod stuff. I was glad to find both shops recomended the same shop someone recommended 10 years ago when I was looking for a Cobra engine. For the Cobra I ended up going with a crate engine and not even talking to this builder. But this time around, there were no push rod crate engines with just 9:1 CR, but internals to support 800 HP.

Another good thing about a local builder, you can see when the landlord locks the doors.

When I met with Fran at RCR in September, he suggested looking at a crate motor from Jeggs or Summit, since they have a 30 month/50K mile warranty. After Craft going down, Summit may be my choice for a 347 SBF by BluePrint Engines.

Between Ford Racing and Blueprint, there are many very cost effective options. You know Summit wouldn't keep selling them if they were coming back.

I have a blueprint SBC 383 that I'm quite pleased with, and one of the first Ford Racing 427W. I have oil consumption problem with the Ford that are Valve guides or seals, but oil is not expensive enough for me to tear into it yet.

I haven't seen any aluminum blocked crate engines other than the Coyote or LS

Sean S.

Supporter
One thing I would look at are the components used for the crate engine builds VS the HP they are advertising. Several of those guys use Re-manufactured blocks. The factory 302W blocks are good for lower HP builds, but they have a tendency to split down the oil galley if you get close to 500HP. I have seen a few go upwards of 800 HP, but I would rather have a good buffer to keep away from a catastrophic failure..... Just my 2 cents.

Ford used to offer the "Aluminator" It was a 427 Aluminum 351W block. I dont see it anymore,I assume it is due to block availability.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Louis, I know that Prestige builds lots of motors with serpentine set-ups for GT40s. Are you saying that what they build for Superformance cars won't work for RCR's?

Sean S.

Supporter
Not saying they didn't offer an aluminum 351 block, but I remember the Aluminator being the coyote based engine.

I might be wrong on the name, for some reason I though that is what they called it. :oops:

Below is the link for the discontinued beast. In hindsight, I think it would have been cheaper to buy it assembled VS building it myself.

That would have been the bomb. After the headache I had getting a block, looking back, I should have bought that and just used the short block, and put the heads and cam I bought, then put those heads on my Cobra.

After trying to find an aluminum block I gave up and went with a Man-O-War iron block.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Louis, where are you? country, state, city, Amend your profile. This will really help you with questions like this. I am just about to begin building a new motor for my SLC. For example, there is a great local shop within 10 miles of my home certified to supply TransAm motors.

This answer will require knowing what you intend to do with the motor. Open track, race, car shows, all street. All require a completely different build.

Back