Steve's RCR GT40 Build

Klaf

Supporter
I just traced the outline of the fiberglass onto poster board. The horizontal dimension was 10 1/2 in and 22 in high. My depth was 4 1/2 in to hide the fusebox and msd. I took into account the angle of my firewall to lay flush with the bottom after I bent it. My angle was74 degrees.
IMG_6830.jpeg
IMG_6946.jpeg
IMG_6828.jpeg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Steve, If I am looking at the pictures correctly, your wings are angled such that the tops will extend past the Spyder. Based on Chucks build log, I was thinking they would angle the other way, but that would not provide near as much room for components. Am I seeing things correctly. Cheers, Randy

Klaf

Supporter
Yes. It’s not painted and the top isn’t finished because I will certainly need to trim it when I fit the clam on. I have redone and triple done enough on this car to guarantee that.

IMG_6949.jpeg

This is what I am hiding

Howard Jones

Supporter
I was thinking you might want to add a "grill" to that pannel to ventilate that area. The MSD will use about 6-8 amps or about 75 -100 watts. And then you have the added heat that a coil will generate. It's less than the MSD but it's not insignificant. Imagine If you put a 75-watt light bulb in there it would get pretty hot I would think.

Maybe something like this? I googled "computer enclosure ventilation grill"

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There was a picture o this forum a while back I believe from Jimmy Mac
it showed the rear lef of the spider on left side with a slit init about 5 inches long

this was on a race oriented original and directed cooling air onto the fuel pumps

could probably do something similar instead of running a fan

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I am going to install the 5” fans and controller same as Chuck’s build. Adding the mesh as John Howard suggests will definitely help. Could add a little louver or NACA duct just before the clip inlet on the spider as well as Ian suggests.

IMG_3736.jpeg

Klaf

Supporter
Thank you for noticing that. I would have burnt my hand to a crisp eventually. I have to wrap my head around this. Not sure which direction I will go.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Well this doesn’t look right. View attachment 139566View attachment 139567
Is the wheel supposed to be this far back in the well?
I am not at that step yet, but what I understand is that with the wheels at ride height, both front and rear alignment done, and verified that the distance between hub centers is 94.5” (or as close as possible), the first step is to position the rocker panels between the tires. The rocker panels then establish the front and rear clip position. The last thing is to position the spider (which is different than the online build manual). There is a very short YouTube video with Fran where he summarizes the steps.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Steve,
Is your dashboard, demister depression lower than the dash flange? I have been positioning various body parts just to get an idea of how things fit, and I found that for me to lay the dash flat on the aluminum deck, I have a choice of cutting a hole in the aluminum or lopping off the bottom of the demister depression.
Cheers, Randy

Hello all. I have been meaning to get this started for some time now. I recently took delivery of my RCR GT40. My madness began in September of 2022. I decided that this was the car I wanted to build. I live in Grand Rapids, MI and RCR is only 2 hours away. I made a appointment to visit the factory and fell under the spell of that place, like so many others have. I put my deposit in the next day. My engine is a Prestige engine from North Carolina. It's a small block 351 stroked to 427. It clocked at 580 HP. It was delivered in March. Fran set me up with a Quaife transaxle. It was the only part that was on sale. Liz Truss, the Prime Minister of England at the time, brought the pound to parity with the dollar the week I sent my wire. Saved me 15%!! Yeah! Her reign didn't outlast the cabbage.

To be perfectly clear and transparent, I am not in anyway a mechanic nor have I ever done this. My blog will be a cry for help from all you accomplished builders and fabricators out there. Think of this as more of a comedy than a tutorial. There are fantastic ideas and great skill in a lot of the builds documented on this site. I plan to steal many of these ideas but will try to give credit. I will not hide my mistakes. There have been plenty so far. Please enjoy reading about the next 10 years of my life, laugh and don't pull any punches when responding to the stupidity on display. View attachment 132752View attachment 132753View attachment 132769View attachment 132770View attachment 132771View attachment 132773
Steve...I just joined the site and started searching for support, inspiration, etc. etc. et. and lucked upon you post. You are basically 1-2 years ahead of where I am at! I have made up my mind on "what", but just now talking with RCR and Fran and at Prestige to determine budget and availability and HOW "I" will possibly make it all come together.

Back