Engine sizes

I am trying to find engine dimensions and weight for the:

Aston Marton DB7 V12
Ferrari 550 Maranello V12

Cant find them anywhere, anybody got any ideas / contacts that could help me?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
brettmcc said:
Being slightly cheeky: DB7 get the dimensions for a Ford Duratec V6 and double it....

Brett

That hurts :)

Here is a photo of the DB7 V12, which dimensions do you need?

Sandy

Attachments

• db7gtengine.jpg
    db7gtengine.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 511
I need the width, height, lenght and thw weight of the complete engine not including transmission, much appreciated if you have it

Jkyle,
Seriously, I'll ask in work tomorrow and see if the guys I know up at Gaydon can help out on the DB engine. Unfortunately I couldn't get hold of anyone today.

Brett

Cheers Brett that is much appreciated, I cant find anything about the engines anywhere on the internet and any of the AM forums have hit a blank (would you believe!)

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
"In 1999, the more powerful DB7 V12 Vantage was introduced at the Geneva Motor Show. Its 6.0 litre, 48-valve, V12 engine produces 420 bhp (309 kW) and 400 ft·lbf (542 Nm) of torque. It has a compression ratio of 10.3:1. It was available with either a TREMEC T-56 six speed manual or a ZF 5HP30 five speed automatic gearbox."

and....

"The Vanquish is powered by a 5.9 L (5935 cc) 48-valve 60° V12 engine, which produces 343 kW (460 hp) and 542 N·m (400 ft·lbf) of torque. It is controlled by a fly-by-wire throttle and a 6 speed 'paddle shift' or semi-automatic transmission. A special V12 Vanquish S debuted at the 2004 Paris Auto Show with the power upped to 388 kW (520 hp) and 577 N·m (426 ft·lbf).

The Vanquish's V12 engine shares some components and design elements with the 3.0 L Duratec 30 V6 from parent-company Ford. It even shares the same bore and stroke dimensions. For this reason, many people incorrectly dismiss the Aston Martin V12 as merely "two Duratecs linked together."

The V12 engine in the Vanquish was designed at Ford Research in the USA. Cosworth Technologies was originally contracted to manufacture the engine, but had no involvement with the design. Previous articles which correctly recount this engine's development have appeared in Automotive Industries magazine.

It is correct that the AM V12 shares components with the 3.0L 'Duratec' V-6 engine used in the Ford Taurus, but it is not possible to simply put two V-6's together to make a V12. The bank offset for a V12 is equal to one rod bearing width, whereas the bank offset for a 60-degree V-6 is significantly longer than one rod bearing width, thus it is necessary to design a V12 as a totally new engine."

found these photos........

if you can get a reference dimension you can scale it and measure.....

Doc Watson

Attachments

• amv12front.jpg
    amv12front.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 466
  • amv12top.jpg
    amv12top.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 474

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Here are some very rough sizes, and use with a grain or two of salt -

Front to back is about 33" (length). This was measured from the top of the motor (front to back of heads). The front is pretty flat except for the upper radiator hose assembly (You can see this in Doc's photo's). That is out a couple of inches beyond the 33". Did not also see the offset for the bellhousing (how far off the back) just can't easily see it.

The width of the top of the engine is 29" from Flange to flange of the intakes (where the Throttle bodies bolt to on the sides of the intake).

Add another 6-7" or so inches to the total width (from throttle body flange) for throttle bodies and looks like the exhaust is about tucked in the same.

This was measured from a DB7GT, is does not have drive by wire, and the newer cars have different intakes it seems. This was measured all from the top of the motor and is very rough, I don't know what the weight of depth of the engine.

BTW I saw one on ebay a few months back from a DB7 with tiptronic as I recall was around 10k for motor. Was in the UK and said would ship to the US...

HTH

Sandy

I am guessing that it would be relatively easy to bolt this engine to a range of transaxles giving that it already has a bellhousing at least for a ZF box?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Maybe it uses the Duratec bell housing pattern... had to take a shot :D

Sandy

Back