ERA GT

HI EVERYONE LEAGALLY INSANE GT40 NUT HERE! I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH THESE CARS SINCE I GOT MY FITST TIN TOY FOR MY 5TH B-DAY (1972). I ALWAYS THOUGHT A GT40 WAS BEYOND MY MEANS (PROBABLY STILL IS)HOWEVER RECENT DEVELOPMENTS ........ANY WAY I HAVE A CHANCE TO PURCHASE AN ERA GT HERE ARE THE DETAILS.FINISHED CAR , ZF BOX BUILT BY PANTERA GURU, REAL HALIBRAND PINDRIVES, WEBER 48IDA, SS ENGLISH BUNDLE O SNAKES,RHD RH SHIFT AND MUCH MORE $LESS THAN 90K ??????

Ron Earp

Admin
For an ERA this is a reasonable price for sure given the current cost of the kits etc. But, you also haev to consider the current state of the GT40 market.

It isn't what it was even two years ago when ERA was pretty much the only game in town for GT40s in the US. Whether or not the ERA GT40 will still command its' lofty price, in my opinion, remains to be seen.

No matter what I consider them great cars though and if it is a lot under $90k then a good find.

Ron

thanks for the response . i have been told the magic number is 75k. as for the cond. currently unknown. pictures coming . the car has won numerous awards at large ford shows(best in show a couple of times}engine is 302 roller valvetrain .hp unknown. if the pictures look as good as the description i will be making a trip to view the car

G

is the car red and out the Chicago area sounds like the one that was on Ebay. Get the serial number and call ERA they can give you the details on the kit as it left the factory. Year of manufacture is critical. Some early models had steel chassies the later models have stainless steel. New kit is 55K but I'll have close to 100K in it when the dust settles. Not to mention 2+ years on wait list

LLoyd

thanks for the input guys! i got the pictures he sent, car looks great. ive put a call in to him but he hasnt replied yet (i have more questions for him)ac? brakes(he specified 6piston frt 4 rr but no other details . the car is #2024 era sent me the orig inv ordered '87 delivered 89. the car seems to have passed between family ie 2 owners.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If the car checks out well, it's a good deal at 75K, it would take you two years and half again as much to duplicate it. There is also supposed to be a white one in Barrington, IL for sale (outside Chicago) if this falls through email me thru the forum and I will try to hook you up. If it is still around.

The one near Chicago was an early ERA with steel mono. Had 351 crate motor, 2 sets of wheels/tires. Was asking $90K. Had pictures. Beautiful car.

Ditto o the early steel vs stainless mono. Steel has a tendency to rust. Water easily trapped. Heard that the orginal cars had to have extensive resto to theor frames after just 10 years. cb

heres the latest:
no ac
type 2 zf by dennis at pantera perf
late model (c4)vette brakes
orig cobra waterneck on manifold
real halibrand knockoffs polished
rhd rh shift
48ida webers (black) w- tall stacks
hpc coated suspension
92 mustang gt engine
steel rods& crank
ported&polished iron heads big valves
hydraulic roller cam & rockers (crower)
10 qt gt40 style pan
4 row brass rad
claims original gt40 exhaust stainless
chassis painted & sealed
body line-x coated underside
frt swaybar no rear
40%bronze tinted all windows lexan
custom rr heatshield & firewall
ciebe lamps
blk leather int, roadcourse dash, brass grommets
gt40 wheelcap
gt40 shift knob
original gt40 vin plate
registered in co as 65 ford gt w-historic plates
mk2 wheel-axle? bearings
modeled after car 1028
300miles since completion
says he was setting the car up to go vintage racing .
97 viper red(a great colour)
body sound deadened.
sorry i jumped all over the place in my description, my notes arent the best!

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Scott, to the best of my knowledge, if it is the car I am thinking about, it has been for sale for several years now. I first saw it advertised at $110k on the gt40 enthusiasts club page. In fact there is a white car on there now. I think the asking price is $95k. I might know where there is an excellent dark blue ERA for $83k. East coast though and I don't know if it is still available. Something to think about. Gregg

One note of caution on a rhd car. It's going to be a bear to pull out of the right lane if some one is close to you. Think about it. Also the base ERA kit is $55K. The more embellished kit (pin drive - Cibie)runs closer to $75K. I'm not sure why these guys are asking such a low price. Unless they just like building them for free.

Mark

I think the higher quality of recent space
frame replicas, and the excellent value of
CAV's monocoque are definitely impacting
the resale price of ERAs.

Anyone who buys an ERA with the intent of
breaking even or making a few bucks better
be doing most of the work themselves.

I'm sure if you poll those who buy ERAs,
they'll tell you they didn't buy them to make money. But the resale value as a % of replacement value does seem to be lower than for other replicas. Maybe it's a characteristic of all mega-buck cars.
And I certainly consider a $ 100k toy mega.

MikeDD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeDD:
Mark

I think the higher quality of recent space
frame replicas, and the excellent value of
CAV's monocoque are definitely impacting
the resale price of ERAs.
MikeDD
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think the alternatives would significantly impact the price and number of ERA customers.

G

There's a GTD in AutoWeek listed at $85K. I've heard you can do a very nice, new, CAV mono for less. It will indeed be interesting to see how pricing is affected over the next year or two. All indications are that there will be more competition, not less.

TT

Ron Earp

Admin
Looking at the specs on the car is looks a little weak, sorry my opinion.

The motor is quite inexpensive to do, a pull out at that with (maybe, cannot verify) some forged internals. Iron heads, maybe just standard E7 castings with oversize valves. No match for inexpensive aluminum heads with CNC porting. Webers aren't that high if you know where to look.

No AC, no upgraded brakes - a fairly basic car.

Based on that and today's market I wouldn't go 85k on the car. As mentioned above, you can get some serious performance for that kind of money and a good car.

Just as an example, take CAV with a $59k roller, ad Wilwood brakes, 6 pot front, 4 rears, built tranny, 342/347 stroker with all forged, 4 bolt block, good heads, AC, leather, knock ons, and you'll be around $75k. And have, in my opinion, a better car. Add electronic 8 barrel fuel injection if you like for another 5k. Still not $85k and now a lot better car.

The same can be done with Roaring Forties as well - about the same price for a tunrkey outfitted similarily.

Certainly there are those that will argue the ERA is in a league of its' own and should not be compared, but I think that gap has narrowed significantly, been closed, or been surpassed depending on who you ask. At the least it has significantly been narrowed.

I like the ERA cars I've seen and want to visit the factory sometime when I'm up that way. But $59k for a fairly incomplete kit is not cheap these days - you've still got to get uprights, transmission (ZF only), engine, and lots of assorted parts which are not so cheap. It is easy to see why a completed car is attractive.

Ron

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: R. Earp ]

Got a fairly good look at the CAV Mono at SAAC - 27. Quality does look great. Nice Stainless chassis with knock offs included in the base price. Fit and finish look pretty high. Going to take a closer look at one this weekend.

HELLO, SCOTT,

I THINK MARK LA VEA'S CAVEAT REGARDING THE INCONVENIENCE (HAZARDS) OF A R.H. DRIVE GT-40 IS WELL WORTH MENTIONING AGAIN. THESE THINGS ARE NOT REALLY DESIGNED TO PROVIDE GOOD VISABILITY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AND WHEN YOU'RE SITTING IN THE "WRONG" (?) SIDE OF THE CAR IT COULD GET REALLY WILD.

I'M A LITTLE TAKEN BACK BY RON'S AND SOME OTHER'S COMMENTS THAT "BRAND X IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS AN ERA", OR "BRAND Y WITH A FEW THOUSAND ADDED DOLLARS WOULD BE SOMETHING LIKE AN ERA", OR "BRAND Z - IF YOU SQUINT AND STAND ON ONE LEG LOOKS SORT-OF-LIKE AN ERA".

AN ERA IS AN ERA. FACE IT - YOU'RE GOING TO PAY MORE FOR IT BUT IN MY OPINION YOUR GOING TO GET VERY GOOD VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY AS WELL AS MORE FOR IT IF YOU EVER SELL IT. IT IS AN EXTREMELY ACCURATE - VERY SUBSTANTIAL AND VERY WELL MADE CAR. I HAVE ERA GT-40 #2057. THIS IS A STEEL AS OPPOSED TO THE S/S TUB ETC. THE CAR IS PROBABLY SIX OR SEVEN YEARS OLD AN HAS OVER 9K MILES ON IT. I DON'T "BABY" IT. I DRIVE LIKE IT SHOULD BE DRIVEN. THE PREVIOUS OWNER/BUILDER WAS ALSO A "DRIVER". I'LL LOOK REAL CLOSE WHEN I GET TO THE CAR TOMORROW BUT THE LAST TIME I LOOKED I DIDN'T SEE "ANY" RUST - ANYWHERE. IF I HAD MY CHOICE - I'D PREFER THE S/S CAR - BUT THAT'S MORE BECAUSE I'M A BIT ANAL THAN ANYTHING ELSE. I'M SURE NOT WORRIED ABOUT PARTS FALLING OFF FROM RUST. (OF COURSE, YOU MUST CONSIDER THAT I DROVE AUSTIN-HEALEYS & JAGS FOR MANY YEARS - I'M USED TO THAT SORT OF THING).

I PAID MORE FOR MINE THAN YOU'RE LOOKING AT AND I DIDN'T GET WEBERS. IT'S ONE HECK OF A NICE CAR AND I INTEND TO INSTALL WEBERS THIS WINTER. I SINCERELY HOPE THAT RON WILL SHARE WITH ME HIS "IF YOU KNOW WHERE TO GET THEM" SOURCE.

AT 75K - - - I'LL BUY IT IF YOU DON'T. I'LL FIND SOMEPLACE TO PUT IT UNTIL MY HOUSE IS REBUILT. (WELL - MAYBE NOT WITH THE R.H. DRIVE).

85K DOES NOT SEEM ALL THAT FAR "OFF THE MARK" FOR THAT CAR. IT'S RATHER TOWARD THE HIGH SIDE OF WHAT I WOULD CONSIDER A REASONABLE RANGE.

THE BEST PART IS THAT WOULD BE GETTING AN ERA (YEP - - I'M PREJUDICED)AND NOT HAVING TO WAIT UNTIL YOUR FIRST SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK TO TAKE DELIVERY. I BOUGHT MINE "READY MADE" FOR EXACTLY THAT REASON. AT MY AGE I DON'T BUY ANY "GREEN BANANAS".

YOU NEED TO SEE THE CAR FIRST HAND. PICTURES WILL ONLY GIVE YOU A VERY ROUGH IDEA OF THE FINISH AND QUALITY OF THE BUILD. PICTURES CAN BE DECEIVING. OPEN EVRYTHING UP - LOOK INSIDE EVERYWHERE - LOOK AT IT CAREFULLY ON A LIFT - DRIVE IT. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, FIND SOMEONE ON THE FORUM WHO LIVES CLOSE AND WILL "CHECK IT OUT" WITH YOU.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SPEND MORE TIME CHECKING OUT A CLASSIC CAR THAN A GIRLFRIEND.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. IF I CAN ANSWER ANY "ERA" TYPE QUESTIONS FOR YOU LET ME KNOW. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CHAT ABOUT THE CARS CALL ME 703-723-7276.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK (JACK MOGUS).

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Blackjack,

I don't mean any offense to anyone that owns ERA cars, I like them a lot and if it weren't for price I'd purchase one. I feel that they are top quality cars and will always remain so. They were just way too high in 1999-2000 when I went looking.

But, given the market now I'm not sure I'd have to have the ERA - price considered or price not considered. I think now though that there are some really good quality cars on the market that can give ERA a run for the money. For some folks' "key features" other replicas are better for them than ERA. But, I'm sure others are still going to prefer ERA for some other reasons - maybe the same ones or different.

At $75-85k it definitely is a good price, no doubt. I just wanted to point out that for $75-85k he could also have a different car with arguably better performance and options with, depending on opinion and viewpoint, similar quality.

I am not down on ERA at all. But, I dunno, like you I just didn't feel this one had all the best pieces based on the description. Most ERAs are well optioned, this one seems not to be (clairification made from eariler sentence). I agree with you that you'd have to see it to make a judgement on the car. But it seems a little on the high side for the options etc. but this is hard to tell from just a description. I've seen some ERAs I'd give a bunch for (red one in Charolette not long ago) but this one doesn't sound as good.

As for Webers, no secert, I just wanted to point out that they are easily found on the Corral, Ebay, and the Cobra forums for a lot less than new sets cost or sets through some of the more reputable carb folks. I've purchased 2 sets in the last year - one set of 48 IDAs with Cobra correct manifold, linkages, and newly rebuilt carbs for $2700 and a set of brand new 48 IDFs, linkages, on a used but great ported and polished manifold for $1900. Both costs were a lot less than Pierce and others want for them. Still seems some folks think Webers are $5000 items, I just don't see that. I still have the IDFs and hopefully will use them.

Ron

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

G

Ron appears to be rather anti ERA based on his negative comments. All I can say is, as an ERA owner you get what you pay for. ERA in my opinion builds the best car in the marketplace. Obviously this opinion is shared by many others which would explain the reason for a two year waiting list for an ERA GT-40. There are some very nice
replicas out there that cost far less.
It all comes down to what you are looking for. ERA though expensive is unsurpassed in
quality and accuaracy and if you can afford it ,the best buy for the buck. (My Opinion)

Back