EVAP Solenoid Valve LS3

Joel K

Supporter
I used nylon fuel tubing (the same as OEM) for my evap lines. You can buy it in a 20 foot roll for about $10 to $20. The fittings are available too. All can be purchased at Summit Racing. The manufacture is Dorman. These are also easily found at your local auto parts stores as well.

I believe the EVAP operation is already in the factory GMPP tune. They just change the fault codes to be not reportable. You would need to change the codes to be reportable with tuning software such as HP Tuners.

You can add the two wires to the ECM connector. I can give you a lead as to who sells the needed pins. There is even online tutorials as how to add pins (circuits) to your ECM plugs.

Hi Ken, looks like you have a very good understanding of the GM Evap System and I could use some help figuring out how to approach getting emissions legal in NJ. I’ve been doing a lot of reading but really not sure how this works.

In the near future I’d like to buy the engine for an SLC Build and want to better understand if my plan will work out with regard to emissions.

Here is what I am thinking. Plan to go with a GM E-Rod engine. It comes with an Evap System, but no tank pressure test components. Since the E-Rod is based on a Camaro 2011 Engine, NJ would label it as a 2011 engine(even if it was manufactured at a later date) and it would have to pass 2011 emissions standards,

I believe the EVAP OBDII flag is set to N/A, otherwise it is fully Emissions compliant. I am concerned that showing up for an emissions test and the Evap ready flag is set to N/A instead of “not ready” will be a problem.

Any advice you have on getting and E-Rod to fully pass an ODBII test would be appreciated, Not sure if indeed the EVAP flag is really set to N/A, or possibly use a tuner to activate the Evap System and then add the tank pressure sensor as required, or possibly buy a used ECU for an LS3.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I guess the easiest way is to use the E Rod setup as it's CARB certified. You first need to find out how far the NJ inspectors take it. The E Rod doesn't come with the tank vent solenoid. In order for that system to work properly it needs to have the fuel level sensor and fuel tank pressure sensor in operation as well. Most likely the E Rod will not have it available. I would contact GMPP tech to see if it is in the program and can be made functional by adding the needed pins/wires. Also chat with others at local car shows to see what they did in your State.

If you need the tank pressure test as well than the easiest route might be to just use a LS3 Camaro complete wiring harness and ECM. It can be reconfigured to stand alone operation. I have taken that route myself although I'm using a C6 Corvette system instead. It will involve more work though.

The tank pressure test is more of a self diagnosis feature. It's just testing for leaks by sealing the system and reading the fuel tank pressure sensor once a vacuum is created and the lines sealed. The system than monitors the pressure sensor to see if it bleeds down. That's why leaving the fuel tank cap off sets a code. NJ might not even require it. If you need more help than send me a PM and we can chat by text or phone.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
You could try something like this instead. It has been used in the past by a SLC owner.

Last edited:
Back